season of givings

Crack

piggybacking on the previous "best booty score" post, what are some things you've had to sacrifice to the gear kharma gods?

1) i involuntarily hooked up someone with a pair of g-10's at wa pass a few years ago (fell off of my harness while postholing)

2) had a little hissy fit and left a new rope at beacon (that one bugged me for awhile)

3) a fat sack before reentering thailand a while back...commie toke is crazy -i was glad to get rid of that shit

none of these are proud moments, but judging from all the booty we've all scored -i know i ain't alone wazzup.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For climbing... lotsa stoppers cuz sometimes they just aren't worth the effort and a few 2ft pickets here and there on bails.

Lost a nice Leatherman knife in the Winds one year but oddly found a nice Gerber knife the Winds the next year.

Rafting...Got caught in a hole for a long minute on the Middle Fork of the Salmon and my loosely clipped daypack went in. It got shaken so violently it unzipped and all the contents emptied into the river. Gore tex jacket, good rain pants, sunglasses, maps, toilet paper, fleece jacket...went swimming to recover the fleece and a few other things in an eddy. Lost all the goretex though and watched the TP float down stream helplessly. Good lesson though on not getting too comfortable with powerful things that don't care about you, i guess.

Anyone here want to fess up to owning the Mountain Hardware tent I watched shoot 50ft up into the air,tumble down the Muir Snowfield for a 1/2 mile and then take the big launch of a cliff into the Nisqually glacier back on a very windy day in May '01?

poor bastard...

Had an epic (one of many) with the ex-boyfriend on Mt. Stuart. We got caught in a lightning storm and the next morning just bailed and rapped down the winter ice route. There were no rap stations that we could find, so half our climbing rack was left behind as rap anchors. Sucked big time and had to rap on some pretty questionable anchors. frown.gif

We also got benighted on Monkey Face and left carabiners on the whole entire bolt ladder. thumbs_down.gif

Once I lost my entire backpack full of climbing gear when someone broke into my car at Smith Rock. That sucked. madgo_ron.gif

The good thing - the epics discontinued when the ex and I broke up. the_finger.gif

I had a backpack stolen off a train in India going from Mumbai to Rajastan. Contents included: favorite felt hat, leather bound journal, nikon 35-80mm lens, walkman with 12 of my favorite tapes, lonely planet guide book to India, sunglasses, sunblock, and other things I cannot remember. The worst part was when the people on the train found out that my pack was stolen they decided it would be a good topic of conversation for the remaining 16 hours on the train. cantfocus.gif Not the best thing to lose the first week of my two month trip to the subcontinent.

I walked away from a bank machine once leaving the $100 i just withdrew sticking out of the slot cantfocus.gif

didn't notice it until i went to buy beer and the wallet was empty WTF?? blush.gif

I did that too. Left the money in the tray and walked off.

About fifteen minutes later I realized what I had done and went back to the bank machine. No cash. I then called my bank and they told me that people do that all the time, and that they usually don't know whose money they have. What apparently happens is after a few minutes the money gets sucked back into the bank machine just like your bank card does if you leave it. The bank told me that if any money got sucked back into the machine, they would refund me my lost $40, and it did, and I did. thumbs_up.gif

I'm still with B of A after all these years. Good customer service to let you have your money after you left it in the tray if you ask me.

Anyone here want to fess up to owning the Mountain Hardware tent I watched shoot 50ft up into the air,tumble down the Muir Snowfield for a 1/2 mile and then take the big launch of a cliff into the Nisqually glacier back on a very windy day in May '01?

poor bastard...

I saw that tent flying, also. When the owners of the tent vacated their campsite to go hunt for the tent, our party got their nice windbreak at Camp Muir.

poor bastard...

I think that happens a lot more often then people will admit...I saw the same thing on the other side, while camped near Schurman, tents rolling down the mountain like tumbleweeds...but those lucky s.o.b.'s caught it beofore it took a serious dive. wink.gif