City of Rocks

Uncle_Tricky

Headed to the City for the first time. Anyone have any general advice or favorite routes to share?

If any fellow cc.commers happen to be wandering southern Idaho the last week of october, and want to join us for some climbing, drop me a message.

[ 10-06-2002, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought for 20 years that the place was utterly fantastic....... it was a little less of a scene before the power drills but the climbs are wonderful and in my humble opinion the ratings tend to be a little softer than around here. So if it looks cool, but the standard is a letter grade too high..... give it a shot anyway!

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

PLus this time of year bring cold weather gear and be ready for wind.

Good point....I think the elevation is about six or seven thousand feet. Stay clear of the Sidetrack Saloon in Burley (unless you feel like gettin' in trouble). [Wink]

Uncle Tricky-

Good to see your plans are on for City. I'm in Bishop after a couple days of fingy-shredding bouldering & sunburning. Headed to Red Rocks, then probably up to Boulder for next weekend... will check & see if I can extend my trip to hang whicha at City, or blow home early to take care of my bidness then head back out whicha...

And how would you feel about JTree for a couple weeks afterward? Guessing that "work" might my intervene...

Anyway, will see ya soon, and if we don't connect, have an awesome time at City.

--Coondog

I spent one day in the City after severe weather chased us from the Winds. I loved the place. I highly recommend Bloody Fingers and the other trad routes nearby. You should also stop at the local gear store in Burly and ask for Beta on the new moderate multi-pitch sport routes that aren't in the guide. I didn't do them but got the beta and they sound like a lot of fun in an area that is predominantly limited to single pitch climbing. If you like to climb hard, bring your balls for this place.