FRESHIEZ

Dwayner

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

His name is Beetle Juice and he's not "retarded"; he's just an interesting fellow who makes a living as a professional goofball...kind of like working in a climbing gym

Not that it matters, and I hate to admit that I know this much about him, but he is in fact mentally retarded, and lives in an assisted living environment, can't read, can't add single-digit numbers...much like sport climbers.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If negative feedback along the likes of flaming and spray are elements that discourage serious posts and you feel that this site is diminished by that, perhaps positive feedback will encourage more folks to make that sort of contribution. If someone posts something that you find interesting or useful, why not say so in a post or at least send them a PM that says so. And of course you can always help remedy the situation by adding something along the lines of a good TR, gear review, etc.

As far as your own posts are concerned, I think you'll find that you'll be treated the way you act. Keep your own flaming to the minimum and you'll by no means be spared from every flame, but I think you'll find that you'll avoid the worst of it. If you disagree with someone in a hostile manner or take a shot at them, however, don't be surprised if they return fire.

Myself - I think that this site is a great resource, and appreciate all of the beta I get here, and quite a bit of the banter. Whenever I've needed beta the folks on this site have never failed to come through. Just this past weekend I was trying to decide between the full N. Ridge of Stuart and the E. Ridge Direct on Forbidden, and sent PM's out to J-Dog, Mr. Radon (Stuart), as well as Lambone and Ray (Forbidden) and got great info from all of them, not to mention the stuff I found on old threads in the North Cascades and Alpine Lakes forums. We ended up doing neither - headed up to Boston Basin and bivied Saturday, woke up in the rain Sunday and left - but it was great to head up there with accurate information about the route beforehand.

Everyone I've met from this board has been cool in person, and I hope that I can make it to more PC's so that I can meet some more.

The cliquey atmosphere that has developed here weeds out the rif raff summitpostjockies and instills in those who remain not only large egos but an actual need to get shit done for the folks back home. The forum for chesbeating COMPELS us to climb harder [big Grin] . Plus, I don't know what I would have done with myself last year at school if I didn't have this site to waste time at. Its no coincidence that those who spray hard are more likely to climb hard; its a matter of balls [Wink]

...so unfortunate to have the "well known" NW climbers don't like Cascadeclimbers.com anymore, maybe they have got their own little site called NWelitistclimbers.com, but I bet it's really lonely AND boring.

this site has added remarkably cogent value to the NW climbers scene and probably provides the BIGGEST and MOST direct information/communication conduit for NW climbers to communicate in, if they choose to. If they don't I think it's their loss, not CC.commers.

It's equalizing in its' democratization, this wacky internet phenomenon- I think it's just a fad [Wink]

It's certainely more direct for your average NW climber than hanging out at Feathered Friends or the rock gym, trying to get beta or whatever, or going to mounties' annual banquets (not that any of these are bad things!) I reccommend more crag parties and PubClubs, way less stuffy! [big Drink]

It's true, too, that this site appears to have sparked more than a few climbing trips and climbing relationships.

Dwyaner, it's okay. You can go look for BigLou. I'm still climbing with Teddy Ruxpin.

A few of my crazy ideas.

1. Let people rank on this site all they want. the internet has cerainly changed climbing? It's saved me a lot of money driving to :locked gates, unnaounced or unposted pass closures, melted out ice, what cracks look dry but are wet inside, and access issues that those who don't come to the site are missing. Those that aren't on this site have put a lot more miles on their cars for the same amount of climbing. It's also allowed a lot of people that don't get out 150 days a year to get in with "what is going on with cascade climbing culture"? (not that I'm claimin'to be well versed) Stories and urban legends were passed at parking lots, gustav's, logger's ledge, and at breaks between yoyo skiing? Now someone could log on to this site from their cubicle at work for six months and know just about every story myth or cascade tale to be told?

2. Yes a buttload of people don't post but I can guaratee you that a bunch of legends and hardmen lurk-----often .

3. Would we all agree that going through this site is better than siting on the couch and watching TV? We can't be doing pullups all day and night .

4. What I wish would change would be-- the 10 to 1 ratio of lurkers to posters would change. And the a lot more of the posts would be put under the "spray" forum. Here is a another crazy idea that I'm sure to gef flamed for: Take how many days a year you get out, multiply it by 2 and that would equal how many posts you wo uld be allowed per year. This site would be instanly transformed. I don't care if you climb 5.2 or 5.15 WI 2 or WI7.

In 10 years we'll all be out climbing with helmet cams going. We'll download our footage onto the site for others to see? Enough spray from me. Just my humble two cents worth. I've been told I take my shit to seriously before and I'm sure I'll get it now.

Flame away

[big Drink]

[ 10-04-2002, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Jens ]

This site jumped the Shark at sauna sausage!

Just kidding Dwayner. I have met a lot of cool people here, and read a lot of advice that would have taken a lot longer to figure out on my own, I do like more trip reports, even as some call it chestbeating--remember Terminal Gravitys Fuhrer Finger report--that should be in print in a magazine. I also have learned that you cannot judge a rescue from the outside, and Erdens first hand information on Goran was way more than what ANY media can cover. I have bought gear on this site, at good deals, I would have been stuck paying more otherwise, and yes, finding out that bridge is washed out or the gate is closed, or there is one foot of snow on the road, this all helps. This is called Cascadeclimbers not Legendson8000meterpeaks.com. There is a purpose here. The chat room should open again though.

TTT [big Grin]

I believe that it is more a manifestation of the anonimity of the posters than any one, or number of anomalies.

When I was a kid, we used to hide down a side alley and lob oranges at cars passing by on the street. There was no way we were going to do so standing out on the curb, but hidden as we were, it was fun to thunk one on the hood, roof or trunk of a car.

I equate this site and it's participants in much the same way. Those who don't hide behind an alias aren't typically so brutal as those that do. With anonimity, social conventions take a back seat and the "fun" goes over the top.

[ 10-05-2002, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: ScottP ]

I tumbled into this site this spring, and I’ve really enjoyed it. Let me tell you a little story about a different agglomeration of climbers:

In 1985 I moved to Tucson, to accompany my girlfriend and her son when she enrolled in grad school at the U of A. The one person I knew in town was Evetree, a friend from Evergreen in Olympia. Through her we met a fully formed community of climbers, and very swiftly had good friends and an active social life. All told, this group comprised 40 to 50 individuals, from stellar athletes to rank beginners in their first and in addition to climbing in various collaborations, they had parties, hung out, went to dinner, and did things that a group of people do. Not everyone loved everyone else, there were definite factions of sport and trade, a bonafide bolt war complete with community meeting where three guys dumped a motherload of bolts and chains they’d removed from the Beaver Wall (Mt Lemmon) on the floor, two rollicking Beanfest parties per year, and a fair share of rivalry and oneupsmanship. It was a lot like this virtual bunch of active posters, and it was glorious.

My girlfriend (now wife) and I made friends there in our year and a half of residence that we’ll know for the rest of our lives, and in fact went out to see a band in Seattle last night with one of them. I’ve grieved to lose three of them to death: one with crampons on, one on rock, and one to cancer. Some of those folks are more acquaintances than best buddies, but to encounter each other on the road in the still relatively small world of climbing is to be old friends reunited. We traded yarns, shared personal histories, swapped beta, talked about dreams and ambitions, and made some of those come true.

Hanging out here on this board feels a little like finding that bunch of people in Tucson all over, and its been splendid to be around a bunch of climbers again. Its true that there is not a cohesive climbing community in the NW, and as the membership of this bunch shows, we’re spread out over a lot of territory. So much information about the areas we climb and the routes we lust after are only revealed in conversation. Finding this network has opened up my eyes to just how many people are doing so much stuff in a way that two decades of toiling away in obscurity with a small pool of friends never has. Fred’s Cascade Alpine Guides are a great piece of work, but the amount of information you can find and elicit on this site is much greater.

Yes, there are some very ugly interpersonal incidents that happen here, and several individuals get abused to a horrible degree (Scott’teryx and Allison spring to mind from recent history) and yet it is remarkable that these people shrug it off and persist in hanging out with us. There was a spectacular mutual evisceration between Dwayner and Peter Puget a few months back (which many missed because it happened late at night, and those involved went back and erased their posts) that I think is actually the personal “jump the shark” moment for Dwayner, since he hasn’t fully really recovered his jaunty attitude since. People do get snippy with each other, but face it, humans can be irascible. Aside from a couple pub-clubs (a great tradition by the way) I’ve not much encountered any of you in the physical world, but that’s mostly due to the demands of that vast part of my life that is NOT about climbing, but I know that meeting some of you for the first time will have some of that same sense of old friends reunited, because I have come to know you through your words. Some may call this thread a troll, but I think Dwayner asked a great question that has moved many to both reflection and great responses. I hope to meet some more of you at the rope-up in Der Leavenworth later this month...

Dwayner,

I’m going to have to come down on Lambone’s side in this whole thing. I remember one Pub Club in Tacoma where MattP, you and myself had a long talk about bolting ethics. What I came away with from our talk was that you liked to listen to yourself talk so much that you couldn’t listen to a different point of view. Now I’m a trad climber, and if I think your views are unreasonable then just think what someone younger and more into clipping bolts would think.

As to jumping the shark, I would agree with an earlier poster who said you jumped the shark with your little battle with PP.

I think you need to either seek treatment for your, Grumpy Old Man Syndrome, or start posting on CascadePontificators.com

That being said I should add that you have made me laugh a bunch of times

[rockband]

[ 10-05-2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: AlpineK ]

You all suck. Thank you for listening.

My only complaint is that the first time I flamed someone back he whimped out and pretended he was trying to be nice. A flame is a flame. The internet is the internet. The days of party lines are over. Deal with it.

Don't get me wrong. Positive posts are great. I read some of them. TR's are even better. But free association brain farts in public are what make this site truely inspirational. Do some sifting and you will see some stuff you won't see anywhere else. Just don't tell your [rockband] mother.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

several individuals get abused to a horrible degree (Scott’teryx and Allison spring to mind from recent history) and yet it is remarkable that these people shrug it off and persist in hanging out with us.

In my case, it's just a handful of people. Everyone else I've met through this site has been anywhere from pretty good to super-duper cool. Can't let a few naysayers keep me away from that.