FRESHIEZ

Dwayner

I'm sensing thread drift...

I would greatly prefer cc.com in it's current state than in a more sanitized, stale iteration. I laugh my ass off at a lot of stuff on this site that is wholely unrelated to climbing. But, valuable info can still be found, and folks are generally helpfull. Everyone has their own agenda, and if this site doesn't fit into, oh well. I'm just wasting tax dollars [big Grin]

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex-

I take your point, and I still disagree. Perhaps there is no relavence left on this bord for you and yours, but I enjoy it tramendously. The humor and the information.

as I sat at my computer crying and reading erdens posts about Goran Krop I was realy glad there there is a cc.com. so that we my grieve to gether, so that we may laugh together, so that we may all come together and climb.

when someone wants to know how to clean a down bag they get an answer in less then 10 minutes. when jk and I needed to know the best way to wash a rope... we got answers.

we as adults are able to pick threw the posts and find what is relevent to any given situation.

people could always be nicer... they could also be less pompus.

heinuscling-

I am married and no one I have climbed with gets pissed off that they don't get laid at the end of the day [Razz]

quote:

Originally posted by lizard brain:

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

quote:

Originally posted by lizard brain:

There's tons of shit to sift through here to get any real information...it's usually more trouble than it's worth, especially when there are so many other resouces available. I'm not saying this isn't a good site, nor am I saying that there's nothing of value here, but I would say that it's more of a source of entertianment than a serious resource, and that's the way most people that visit this site treat it. Looking for climbing information on cc.com is like looking for climbing gear at REI - neither is to be taken seriously.

I disagree, almost every climb i did this summer I was able to easily find information on, and or get directly in touch with someone who had recently done the route. Albeit most of the routes are popular classic, but I don't plan on being a cascades "lifer" so i'm just ticken the best ones while I can, sometimes more than once...

Most of the beta I have seen has been pretty spot on.

Read my post. I didn't say there was nothing here, and there is valuable information. But 90% of the post on this site are hot air. Like this one, for example.
[Razz]
ok I guess I'll be more specific. I disagree that its more trouble than it's worth. It's merely a matter of doing a search on a route or peak and skipping over trasks one liners...

of course that agrument greatly depends on what kind of value you asign to beta, different for everyone, personaly I am a betahound [sNAFFLEHOUND]

As with most information on the web you have to sort through the rubbish to find what you're looking for. While there is some good-natured elbows to the ribs, some of it is on the high-school level. But whatta going to do. Folks are anonymous so the ones with lots of time, odd social inclinations, and a big L stamped on their forehead will use the site to 'dis folks.

But there is a wealth of knowledge out there that you can tap into, just have to filter out the noise. No worse or better than the web in general.

originally posted by Muir on Saturday:

quote:

maybe it would help if people kept the trip reports in the trips reports

Bingo! We have a winner.

This site can be different things for different people, but not when everything ends up mixed together. I thought that was why there were moderators. Not for censorship, but for organization.

-t

Excellent troll

It's been a while since someone posted this topic. I'm sure we are overdue for a,"lets clean up the site thread."

I should point out on my very first post on this site I got messed with by none other than Alex. [Razz]

Because of this site:

I climbed for a week in Yosemite

Skied a week long traverse in the Coast Range

Found climbing partners for a bunch of weekends when I might not have climbed.

Met a bunch of cool people

Become known for smoking pot at Muir

Anyway I'm sure this place is a little low brow for a guy with a PHD (huh Dwayner); also things can get a little too nasty at times.

All in all I like the site. If people don't want to interact on the site that's their choice.

As for climbing community that Dwayner talks about, I don't understand. I see lots of people reading the site. What is it you want Dwayner 100% participation?

Alex-

I prefer public debate, thank you [big Grin]

perhaps you are correct that cc.com does not serve as a platform for the "local" climbing comunity. I would not know as I am from a diffrent state.

What I do know, is that when I wanted to climb and take a family vaction to washington, JK and I were offered a ton of helpful suggestions, which have made our trips just that much better.

one thing that i read alot is the climbing community...there is none here in washington...there certainly is groups of people who climb together and mix and match..but as far as a community goes there is none...

this is evident in people bashing the mtneers, what style of climbing is better then the other and so on...

i do not think cc.com tries to repersent the climbing community(see above) but it does supply a medium where random climbers can meet other random climbers...

i think the aac sucks here and i have thought for a long time....i am not into regimental standards like the mtneers or other similar groups use.....and these are tools to meet people...just as cc.com is........

it is like a runway show...you put yourself out there and see what comes back!!!

have fun......

"I take your point, and I still disagree."

My points were:

* "Everyone has the right to use this site as they see fit, without interferece"

* "Anyone who wants this site to be something that it isnt, or wont be with current moderation policies, should go elsewhere"

and you disagree?

Perhaps there is no relavence left on this bord for you and yours, but I enjoy it tramendously.

I never said it had no relevance to me, if it didnt why would I be debating with you? I enjoy this board alot, and get alot out of it. I am glad you do. That makes 2 of us. What I said is it has no relevance as a platform for the local climbing community (and it doesnt) and it doesnt serve as a real vehicle for information (it doesnt). Had it gone down a different road in the beginning, 2 years ago, then it might have. Who knows? I think you and I are talking about 2 different things, without realizing it, and just dont understand that yet. Hopefully we'll meet someday and we can talk about it all.

people could always be nicer... they could also be less pompus.

pompous huh? cool, I'll add that to my list!

Hey 'K, we finally skiing this year? I promise I wont ridicule your Randonee (french for "can't tele") setup [Wink]

Yeah, no kidding. I hadn't climbed rock at all before this year, and now I'm leading easy trad and doing alpine routes previously unimaginable. No classes, few books, just a lot of searching and sifting and slack time at work, followed by as much climbing as I could muster. I've met, drank, climbed, and puffed with almost a dozen good people that I've met here. Climbing has done so many positive things for me this year and for that (and this site) I am grateful.

quote:

Originally posted by b-rock:

Yeah, no kidding. I hadn't climbed rock at all before this year, and now I'm leading easy trad and doing alpine routes previously unimaginable. No classes, few books, just a lot of searching and sifting and slack time at work, followed by as much climbing as I could muster. I've met, drank, climbed, and puffed with almost a dozen good people that I've met here. Climbing has done so many positive things for me this year and for that (and this site) I am grateful.

werd

[big Drink]

quote:

[big Grin] right on!!!! I think that is what makes cc.com a little comunity of it's own [Wink][big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

"One night of listening to your bullshit at the bar was enough for me, thanks."

Lambone...you're one classy guy!
[Roll Eyes]
One night, eh? I remember about ten minutes of a vacuous conversation with you...the rest of the time you were trying to impress some girls by climbing up on a beam above the bar at the Alki. Someday, when you learn some manners, you'll be surprised how much more of the world will be available to you.

[laf]

It took only but ten minutes to determine that there was no possible worthwhile insight that I could possibly gain from you sir. Siffting through your selfrighteous BS for content was more tedious than digging through the spray of CC.com for good beta. I'll quote the great sex chocolate on this one:

"But damn dwayner, you're still a contentious sanctimonious pious pretentious overly sensitive hypocritical pig fucker, so get over yourself already!"

Whats up Proffesor? Are you adapting the "just ignore" Lambone tactics again?

I have to hand it to you, you do have a gift when it comes to starting good threads.

[big Drink] but mikey's still sucks

quote:

Originally posted by Muffy The Wanker Sprayer:

quote:

[big Grin]

right on!!!! I think that is what makes cc.com a little comunity of it's own
[Wink][big Grin]
Your such a girl... [Roll Eyes][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]