FRESHIEZ

Dwayner

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayner & ScottP,

Doesn't the irreverent, humorous tenor of cc.com fit the broad climbing community as a whole? I get tips and ideas, and I get a chuckle or two. [Razz] I know what you guys are saying, (anonymity has its effect) but the board is set up the way it is, so I enjoy it for what it is!

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

My nominations for the point when cc.com jumped the shark are:

1) when the term "horse-cock" (vulgar by most any standard) became common and, in fact, institutionalized.

2) the merciless harrassment of the likes of Dan Larson and others.

Any other nominations?

just lou comes to mind [Razz]

actually i'm wondering if you're just REALLY bored right now b/c this place has been turning people off for as long as i can remeber [Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by RobBob:

Dwayner & ScottP,

Doesn't the irreverent, humorous tenor of cc.com fit the broad climbing community as a whole? I get tips and ideas, and I get a chuckle or two.
[Razz]
I know what you guys are saying, (anonymity has its effect) but the board is set up the way it is, so I enjoy it for what it is!

To a certain extent. However, I believe the brutal nature of some of the posts I have read on this site wouldn't have been so brutal if those involved were in a face-to-face situation.

I'm not saying this site is bad or needs to be fixed (except for those proponents of kicking little kids in the teeth [Mad] .) I am just responding to Dwayner's query.

My name is Justin Thibault. I live in Bellingham, WA. There, I said it.

It seems like "Allison" gets some mean-spirited abuse, from my perspective.

My opinion on this site is that, yeah, I do get some useful info, and it is a sort of collective consciousness for the WA climbing community. But, like any population, there are examples for every type of person, assholes and angels included. So, if "well-respected" climbers don't want to have anything to do with this site, yay for them. I'll stick around until I get sick of it.

-God

I wouldn't worry about it. This site is doing fine, in my opinion, and will be around for years to come. Visitation will fluctuate with the seasons. I find the site both useful and entertaining. My initial reservations have dematerialized.

What do you want, usefulness AND entertaiment, or something sterilize and boring such as, oh, say the Mountaineers Bulletin Board: http://www.eskimo.com/%7Epc22/CC/Bboard/wwwboard.html? Or something too complex and stringent like www.summitpost.com ?

ScottP, yeah, when I read some of the posts like that, I picture 17-y-o little wankers at their keyboards. And that's probably what they are, since many disappear after a few posts.

Actually, I thought of Just Lou as one of the good laughs. Here's one for more Just Lou!

[big Drink]

My nomitation would be way back when Dwayner and pope began to propegate the anti-bolt/sport climber wars.

Runner up would be when cavenman publicly threatened to kill me cause he thought I was making fun of Fred Beckey (I wasn't).

But who really cares when or why CC.com so called "jumped the shark?" why ask? Are you woried that the respected climbing "pioneers" in the NW won't respect you when they find out you post on CC.com?

By claiming that you remember when CC.com jumped the shark, you are basically saying that you were around during the "golden age" when CC.com was a nice happy climbing community that shared information and encouragement. A time when it was considered respectable to be a registered member and contributer to the boards. Once again placing yourself in the "old school" category that is inherently superior to the "new school." Once again living in the past and promoting a dicotomy between the intrest groups of our small community.

Still, I will contribute my own nomination, because hey, spraying is allways more fun than work, regardless of what the "pioneers" think.

cheers [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Necronomicon:

My name is Justin Thibault. I live in Bellingham, WA. There, I said it.

It seems like "Allison" gets some mean-spirited abuse, from my perspective.

My opinion on this site is that, yeah, I do get some useful info, and it is a sort of collective consciousness for the WA climbing community. But, like any population, there are examples for every type of person, assholes and angels included. So, if "well-respected" climbers don't want to have anything to do with this site, yay for them. I'll stick around until I get sick of it.

-God

i thought you were getting sucked deeper into the shit.....so you are screwed my friend....

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:

quote:

Originally posted by RobBob:

Dwayner & ScottP,

Doesn't the irreverent, humorous tenor of cc.com fit the broad climbing community as a whole? I get tips and ideas, and I get a chuckle or two.
[Razz]
I know what you guys are saying, (anonymity has its effect) but the board is set up the way it is, so I enjoy it for what it is!

To a certain extent. However, I believe the brutal nature of some of the posts I have read on this site wouldn't have been so brutal if those involved were in a face-to-face situation.

No shit...

Scott P, effortlessly good at stating the obvious. Of course, I would never say that to you in person. [Wink]

I wish I could have said it as well as Lambone. Hey I can!

My nomination would be way back when Dwayner and pope began to propegate the anti-bolt/sport climber wars.

Runner up would be when cavenman publicly threatened to kill me cause he thought I was making fun of Fred Beckey (I wasn't).

But who really cares when or why CC.com so called "jumped the shark?" why ask? Are you woried that the respected climbing "pioneers" in the NW won't respect you when they find out you post on CC.com?

By claiming that you remember when CC.com jumped the shark, you are basically saying that you were around during the "golden age" when CC.com was a nice happy climbing community that shared information and encouragement. A time when it was considered respectable to be a registered member and contributer to the boards. Once again placing yourself in the "old school" category that is inherently superior to the "new school." Once again living in the past and promoting a dicotomy between the intrest groups of our small community.

Still, I will contribute my own nomination, because hey, spraying is allways more fun than work, regardless of what the "pioneers" think.

No shit...

Scott P, effortlessly good at stating the obvious. Of course, I would never say that to you in person.

Dwayner,

Perhaps this website "jumped the shark" when you stopped posting your humorous anecdotes and trip reports and replaced them with endless pictures of alpine kitty, tom stoppard and your latest hunk. Those were good times back when you actually contributed something. You get what you pay for.

Seriously though, if you wanna do something about this board then contribute something that you consider valuable. Whatever you contribute will leave fertile ground for the proliferation of your style by others with similar likes.

It is a waste of time to try to get the regulars on this board to change their style by ridicule/scolding. If they were sensitive to ridicule they would not have made it to regular status.

hate to say this dwayner, but this site began losing any relevance as a platform for the local community and a real vehicle for information, oh, about 2 years ago, when users decided it was more important to entertain themselves (often at the expense of others) than to restrict activity to things climbing related

on the one hand, it has made the site very popular as a distraction, and there is more activity on this board than any other climbing-related board. Activity is good, when there isnt much, BBSs become stale and eventually obsolete. I still like coming here from time to time and sharing stories or reports or commenting on gear, because the content and discussion is fresh.

on the other hand, the free and lackadasical attitudes that some posters have has certainly turned me and most of my friends off from posting information here. One, because we have all been party to various VERY PERSONAL flame wars that often boiled over into REAL THREATS, and two, because it seems there is little if any respect for a thread. Thread creep, thread drift, posting aimless comments when they have no relevance. Just shows that no one cares. So why should I?

My opinion is that there is nothing anyone can do, short of publically ostracizing people who dont live up to a standard, and banning them. And as some have so ably pointed out in the past, who the fuk is Alex (or anyone besides jon and tim?) to set any standard for anyone else?

coexisting on this site is just like coexisting in the real world. While I might not agree with people like Capt Caveman or Greg W on alot of issues, including how to use this site or other things, they have just as much right as I do to be here and use the site as they see fit. If one doesnt like it, might as well leave...?

Alex

[laf] Dwayner and the Alpine Kitty got called out.

This thing has been pissing people off for as long as I can remember. I've gotten some of the best climbing info from here, but I've had to sift through a lot of HORSECOCK to get it. But whatever...it doesn't represent regional climbing - its just a bunch of screw-offs with more time on their hands than they know what to do with.

BTW-If you don't know why Dan Larson sucks, you weren't around for the Golden Age.

[big Drink]