Cascade Urban Legends?-that might be true?

Jens

let's hear some Cascade mountains urban legends you've hear from climbing parners

Here are some:

* Lost diamond mines?

* Bigfoot? - Deep in the wilderness -B.C.?

* Wolverines?

* naturally occuring radioactive material in the ground near Cascade Pass?

* Ancient log cabin remains in literally the middle of nowhere (Picketts etc.)

* Strange magnetic field anomolies?

* Secret gold Mine shafts?

* human remains seen in crevasses?

* valuable debris dropped from airplanes?

* Strange sounds?

* Hermits living in the woods near Darrington?

* Super secret Hot springs - 1hr. hike from the top of the upper town wall?

* other secret hot springs?

* Indian Burial grounds/ hyroglphics in the alpine that only climbers know about?

* 4-star limestone bolted sport wall/ cave hidden and kept hush-hush in the cascades?

* weird stuff on the crater of the top of Mt. Rainier?

-Don't ask for details, but in my 17 years of climbing in this state, I've actually heard at least one person make a factual claim for every one of the above statements.

Anybody else have some good ones you've heard around the climber's campfire?

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just a few more I've heard:

Weird Monte Cristo stories?

Alpine climbers that have very LARGE gear caches (not just a rack) located at several different climbing areas?

Little pockets of houses (communities in the foothills) with all the elements of the movie "Deliverance"?- I'm not namin' names or where.

Weird stuff that has gone array in the Cascades from McCord Air Force Base?

Climbers that have found very large gold nuggets while approaching climbs?

Recent Grizzly encounters as far south as Glacier Peak?

Junked cars in places literally impossible to get a car?

Weird geological faults?

Rockslides/ Rockfalls that defy Physics?

Climbers that have gone insane in the hills and stayed for a while?

Bull Elk that have tried to kill people?

Strange lights in impossible places?

Again, I've heard these from others (don't ask for details)

I heard about a winter that never came....

Most of those other things are currently happening right now up the North fork of the Skykomish.

As far as gold, funk and antiques, Monte Cristo was the place. A huge boom town in the day, nothing ever "panned out"....

We did get Everett out of the deal, as the town was proped up to be the western railroad terminus for the ore shipped out from Monte Cristo.

Edited by lancegranite

I heard about a winter that never came....

Most of those other things are currently happening right now up the North fork of the Skykomish.

"Little pockets of houses (communities in the foothills) with all the elements of the movie "Deliverance"?- I'm not namin' names or where."

Can you squeal like a pig?

Also there was a marijuana drop plane that dropped its bales recently (october?) while being chased by the US Border Patrol planes. The bales are scattered over "inaccessible mountainous terrain" between Chilliwack and the Okanagan. These bales have not been recovered. hahaha.gif

I've been in the ice caves in Rainier's summit crater. there's lots of junk in there that melts thru from the surface, but nothing too strange. An ultralight aircraft that crash landed on the summit has been documented in the caves, along with misc gloves, mittens, wands, food tins, and other crud.

I've spent a fair bit of time in the passages alone with lights off and didn't see any strange telepathic creatures with blue auras...I swear!

I have come across many a hermit in the local mountains around Vancouver. Lots of squatters up Cypress, but the best was when we used to party in the woods during highschool. Once this guy just appears, says he's been livin in the Capilano watershed for a few years. He looked at our beer like a ravenous dog hahaha.gif

Edited by jordop

There are Wolverines in the North Cascades, I know several folsk who have seen them, and I think as Dru said, biologists would agree. There are still a lot of old mine remains in and around Cascade Pass/Horshoe Basin. One can find explosives equipment, trapping supplies, and ranching supplies in some very remote places.

Obviously the #1 legend is the Sasquatch, but I aint buying that. I'd love to hear the evidence behind there being radioactive material near cascade pass.

I've seen some indian petroglyphics, but I they aren't secret to only climbers.

IMO people are in general just too weak-willed to ever maintain vast conspiracies and networks of secrets. If there were Aliens/bigfoot/etc... and a lot of people were in on the secret, some chump would have spilled teh beans in a tell-all book or TV appearance, and made his million dollars, as opposed to being poor, silent, anonymous, and "in" on the secret.

My mother in law saw a wolverine in their horse pasture last year. The dogs went to investigate, but hightailed it out of there as soon as they got close enough to see. When my father in law heard about it he told her it must have been a badger or porcupine...until he saw the picture. Wolverine for sure. This was on their place accross the river from the town of Methow.

IMO people are in general just too weak-willed to ever maintain vast conspiracies and networks of secrets. If there were Aliens/bigfoot/etc... and a lot of people were in on the secret, some chump would have spilled teh beans in a tell-all book or TV appearance, and made his million dollars, as opposed to being poor, silent, anonymous, and "in" on the secret.

I have never seen evidence of a bigfoot but I was one of about 30 people who saw a UFO over Missoula in 1964. I'll tell anyone. The conspiracy theory doesn't cover it. It's simply a matter of people not being willing to believe if they haven't seen it themselves. I wouldn't. But there I was looking at the damn thing. I have to admit to being a little embarassed about talking about it in public. Is that the result of a conspiracy or the result of a fear of being flamed? Wait a minute, I'm getting a message from the Big Giant Head now..... He says you're all boobs. Saggy ones.

hellno3d.gifmoon.gif

Strange sounds... ya, once out at Index on the upperwall trail I heard the weirdest and most spine chilling sound ever. Now some of those trees make noises that always happen when the wind picks up. But I've never heard this one again. This sounded truely like somebody in great pain! I looked in the area but didn't find anything. In 6 years of hiking around the woods I've never heard anything like this... nor do I ever want to again.

If you ever hike the Upper Wall trail with me I could show you the exact spot that I heard the noise.