car repairs are so suck

kurthicks

So there I was, 15 miles out of town with the intent of climbing the next 4 days and my car started screaming from the rear axle. w00t is that I though? My christmas present to myself is now a fixed car (taking a week & going to cost me $300+). everyone else has gone home for christmas and I'm stuck. This is so suck. thumbs_down.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe while you are replacing the exhaust manifold you may want to consider including the optional 3.0 VZE Engine attachment. That might help address the power issues.... hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

Seriously though - how is the 22RE on passes and on the highways? The 3.0 VZE seems weak as hell to me, and the mileage is 19-20mpg tops. "Finally - a truck that combines the fuel efficiency of a mid-80s F250 and the raw, unbridled power of a Tercel...." Good thing for Toyota that their engines seem to last forever.

The head gasket on my wife's minivan once blew when we didn't have $700 to fix it. I became an mechanic overnight. It took me all weekend, and several trips for parts and tools, but I managed to do the job. I had a terrible sunburn on the gap between my pants and my tee shirt from leaning over the engine in the hot sun. The new gasket held and the car worked great after that.

my mechanic told me it's going to be $350 for front and rear brake pads. hellno3d.gif wtf??? that's probably more than a third (or maybe even half cry.gif) of what my car is worth! cry.gif anybody know a cheap place to get brakes done?

Have you tried Les Schwab's? I just got the brakes done (including turning rotors) on my truck for a little over $200.

Please note that I am definitely biased: I think Schwab's is the best for anything regarding brakes/shocks/tires/alignment. I only wish they did tune-ups and engine work.

my mechanic told me it's going to be $350 for front and rear brake pads. hellno3d.gif wtf??? that's probably more than a third (or maybe even half cry.gif) of what my car is worth! cry.gif anybody know a cheap place to get brakes done?

Have you tried Les Schwab's? I just got the brakes done (including turning rotors) on my truck for a little over $200.

Please note that I am definitely biased: I think Schwab's is the best for anything regarding brakes/shocks/tires/alignment. I only wish they did tune-ups and engine work.

Les Schwab sucks. Took my Jeep in because I had a broken stud. In the process of replacing them they left a stud in the brake drum. Had to replace the brakes, drums and pads. And then they had the balls to say it was my fault and they did nothing wrong!!!! madgo_ron.gif

Buy the manual and tap into the vast pool of sausage on this site. There's gotta be a guy around that will show you how to replace the pads for a plate full of brownies and an intro to a cute girlfriend.

For the price - I'm guessing you need to have your rotors worked on or replaced, which will complicate the sausage option somewhat....

It amazes me how awestruck people are about cars. "Oh my car is broken... what do I do". FIX THE FREAKING THING!!!

I don't have an engineering degree and I do a vast majority of my own work.

For the price of a few biners and a few brews you can get some screw drivers/pliers/wrenches/etc and do quite a bit yourself and save tons 'o $$$. Definitely invest in a book on your car if you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground though.