stretching ski boot shells

JohnHemlock

I have had a pair of Garmont Veloce telemark boots for 2 years. My right foot is slightly wider than the left and this causes some serious discomfort for the first 2 hours of any ski day. I thought the liner would eventually pack out and I'd be fine but after probably 60 days in the boots the problem is still around. Can shells be stretched along the side of the forefoot? I can't buy a bigger shell because I am already using their biggest boot. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. A not uncommon boot stretching project for some folks is euphemistically referred as providing room for the "sixth toe". Some folks need it for both feet, you sound like a potential candidate for one foot only. Sometimes a bit can be shaved out of the liner, but you need to be watchful of removing too much cushioning benefit of the padding or making it more susceptible to retaining more water.

Another consideration is looking at the nature of how your foot responds when you step down and put weight on it. If your foot rolls a bit, which could be from such reasons as an insufficiently supported arch, your foot becomes "wider" within the boot. A more supported footbed may discourage your foot from spreading and reduce the need for blowing out the plastic in the shell.

Many times you strive to punch the shell after trying out other options. For example, if your otherwise foot needs can accommodate it, you might be able to use a thinner footbed which drops your foot lower in the shell. Lower elevation is usually wider within the shell.

I've always had good help on boot fitting projects at Sturdevant's in Bellevue, but there are other worthwhile shops too.

Are you using the standard lace-up liners? If so, they are relatively thick. When I was skiing Garas and SuperGs (same last as the Veloces), I sized the boots so that there was no way to get my foot into boots when using standard liners but they were perfect with my slightly worn, standard thickness thermomoldable liners.

With my current boots, I used to have a lot of pain on the sides of one foot due to a tight fit even after 20 days in the liners. I remolded the liner last week and they fits awesome now - no pain at all.

I'm a do-it-yourself kind or guy, and stretched out my own shells on both my downhill, AT, and plastic climbing boots. Step 1: Get a large bucket of water handy. Step 2: Get a torch or at the least a very hot hair dryer. Step 3: Put on a leather work glove. Step 4: Heat the shell to the point of softness, but not gooey-ness. Work the plastic back and forth from within the boot, and then quickly dunk in the water to perserve the shape. Some trial and error will be needed to get the best fit. Happy feet!

I am using the standard lace-ups but will look at a moldable liner. I took the insole out completely yesterday, which seemed to help somewhat. I'm usually okay with DIY but am somewhat afraid about trying to reshape the shell myself. Finesse work is not my strong suit!

I am hoping to use these boots to ski to 7000 meters next summer so perhaps a thinner, more shaped liner boot is the answer.

Well, if you want warm, one of the thermofittable liners helps quite a bit. The Intuition models frequently have foam that undergoes less volume change throughout the day; Raichle-style ones often have more thickness for filling in spaces, though sometimes the fit gradually becomes more loose during its lifespan. Garmont liners are pretty good if they work volume-wise in your boot. If it ends up during the molding process to get all pressed out in an area, you might not get the full insulation benefit.

In short, a thermo-type liner may solve much of your fit issues, but you may still need to deform the plastic to provide enough contour change to accomodate your insulation needs as well.

By the way, if you have never heated/shaped a boot before, it is worth it to have someone do it in a shop. Amongst other things, there are ways to make your boot ugly (or damage it) for which your only recourse is to hit yourself in the forehead and go "Doh!". Professional shop folks are less likely to have a mishap to begin with, but if they do, they have resources to remedy the problem that you don't have (working relationship with manufacturers for replacement parts, for example). Also, since boots are so important to your enjoyment level, wouldn't you rather have them be the best they can be?

Edited by graupel

Has anybody done this in Portland? How much would it cost? I had my liners thermo fitted and my right foot still falls asleep, boot is just a bit too snug. Should I try reheating my liner for a second try at the fit? I have only done two trips in them. Or do a couple more trips to see if they packout?