Chair Peak

kakeandjelly

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice pic, its hard to orient yourself if you've never looked at Chair from this vantage, but the sweeping buttress in the center is the NE buttress, the righthand face is the N Face, and the normal descent gully is the gully leading down from the col between the main summit and the next summit to its left.

Two days ago I took the day off and skinned up to the Chair Peak Basin. I left from the top parking lot of Alpental toward Source lake on a 3"crust of snow. I have never seen such poor coverage all the way to the lake. The talus field above source lake still had exposed rocks and

all the drainages were exposed. I worked my way up to the Basin where the snow coverage was about 4' deep 2" had been baking in the sun all day. I had my probe but didn't bother to measure the exact depth. I released one slab

3-6" thick and 30 feet across that ran for about 300m. Saw one huge point release just below the basin near the snow lake divide. I got some turns in until I skied down to around 4,500 feet where I need to concentrate on avoiding rocks rather that skiing. Skied back to the

car via the Snow Lake Trail because my approach route sucked so bad. Had to take my skis off at least 15 times b/c there was not snow to ski on in places. It would be the way I would do the approach if I were to do it again until there is more coverage.

Discovered I lost my shovel on somewhere on the trip so if anyone going into to area happens upon it and would like to return it please PM me.

Took my skis into the shop on the way home to get some base repair done.