A First Banning

AlpineK

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the climbing Partner Forum. They seem to slag each other after the first couple posts. the whole thing breaks down. It does make me appreciate some level of moderation.

That said, I do miss the intensity of having those guys around. We really got into some good issues and I value that. I have noticed tho that I am getting more billable hours w/o them around... yellaf.gif

Wow I had not been to that site before. I wondered why cc.com had got better lately. All the complete shit and most of the dumbshits who write it are over there now. Good keep them there.

No, some of us, including you, are still here.

so self-righteous... Silliness is OK! In 200 years, we'll be dead and hopefully well composted. Our lives will studied by?, by?, by?...??? well, probalby by no one.

It sure is smokey in here.

Pfft. Silly is cool, "I'm going to hunt you down and kill all your family because you said I was gay" is not.

I agree, those comments are way off limits. I didn't see them.

That said, some of the Nodderators here have banned and censored folks over some pretty innane comments. Sort of a "Larry the Tool/CC.COM style."

Still is smokey in here. hahaha.gifGeek_em8.gif

(3) Here’s an interesting comment from Chirp (no offense Chirp):

In sentence #1 he states with regard to “profanity”: “Pretty lame site actually, basically a bunch of children getting their chance to use profanity and crudeness without parents around.”

In sentence #2, he, who apparently is appalled by those using profanity, choses some very interesting adjectives: “I have no use for that kind of fucking bullshit.”

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek while I typed that :P (my mouth cheek thank you very much)

I feel, as I believe most climbers and their ilk do, that small doses of profanity add festive colour,flavor and impact to any conversation/description/tirade. Its just the volume and intensity that begin to cause problems when they become overwhelming; like using too much wasabe in your cheesecake.

(2) You're a very odd guy Nolse--no matter how nice I am to you, you still act like a prick; strange. You act no better than those you eschew at Ascensionist.com. Odd your disdain for me; the only thing I’ve ever done to you was to invite you to my site and been complely nice to you.

Come on man... you're going to have to more specific then that... I’d like a side of examples with those accusations please.

The only thing I can think of that I've done is point out the fact that it is your site... something I think you would want people to know... don't you? And if "blowing your cover" is all it takes to make someone a prick then so be it... I can live with that.

Pony up.

We all take NOLSe as a little bit abrasive at first read, sometimes even at second and third... Unless you know him, this is a very easy misinterpretation (not that I claim to know him by any means, just have had enough interaction to realize that he may have a bit misunderstood) . NOLSe, no offense intended, just poking my nose in where it probably doesnt belong, but you know me, I have opinions about just about everything, and keeping quiet is not well... nuff said.

Icegirl is right (or I should say I agree with her… I am willing to bet some people disagree)… a number of people who have met me have commented that their initial impression of me from just my posts was that I was very confident (perhaps over confident/arrogant/etc etc) but after meeting me realized that they just misinterpreted my tone and I am nothing more than a young super motivated climbing dork. Nothing more… nothing less (unless you count the fact that I wear bandanas and leather vests blush.gif)… And it doesn’t help things that I worked a combined total of four year in gear shops so over time I became tempered to the constant spraying of sportos that would wonder across the street from the rock gym to chest beat about the 11 they sent on plastic and ask questions about climbing that they already knew the answer to so they could just answer their own question and listen to themselves talk. Basically I’m a little jaded. Just a little.

But I digress… Iceguy: I received your pm and I agree: probably just a case of misinterpretation.

I understand your frustration and am empathize with your situation. I would hypothesize you are receiving more grief than anticipated over the founding of a new BBS climbing due to a number of reasons. Specifically:

People don’t understand why you chose to start this site especially when you are already a mod on this site. To date I haven’t seen any type of purpose statement for a.com… what to you hope to accomplish with a.com? what is your vision for a.com? what will a.com offer that cc.com can’t? Most importantly: why can’t you merge these ideas with cc.com?

Answers to those questions would be straightforward if it weren’t for the fact that you were affiliated with cc.com... the fact that you are is what makes this whole thing so awkward. Specifically:

It costs some money and even more time to start a BBS site. If you have either one of those wouldn’t you, as a mod (someone who feels so strongly about cc that they donate time to keep things running) on cc.com, want to donate one or both to cc.com? If that is not the case why are you still a mod?

Case in point the trip report index or the search engine on cc.com needs help… just last week Forrest posted a question inquiring the location of some posts from last year. Jon a number of times has commented the mods have been so busy babysitting a number of individuals (now “contributors” on your site) that they don’t have any additional time to improve the site. I would propose the time you spent founding a.com could have helped improved cc.com tremendously. Your site is very impressive; just think how much better cc could be if you included some of those items over here.

These are just a few question that I found myself wondering once I learned it was your site. Depending on the answers to those questions I know at least I would be more accepting of a.com.

WRT to your current situation: I wonder if AlpineK’s behavior on a.com was to prove a point… specifically that this quote “ban free site” isn’t. Yes I could and am likely wrong… perhaps AlpineK will comment why he feels prompted to behave so differently on a.com than he does here on cc.com. Whatever the reason is I suspect it is personal and would propose there are better alternatives to resolve whatever issues he has with you and/or your site. And the million dollar question: is he banned?

Finally some soapbox: one of my views in life is that all partnerships (friendship or relationship) require work. Generally if one (such as myself) gets more out of a relationship than the amount of work that is required to maintain the relationship I stay in it. However if the amount of work required to keep the relationship healthy is greater than what I am getting out of the relationship I generally end it. Applying this philosophy to cc.com:

A large number of the people who have been banned from cc.com and now call a.com home once contributed something to cc.com. The problem is the amount of trouble, mischief, anger, etc exceeded the amount of good stuff (humor, TRs, etc) they contributed so it was not worth keeping them around. Hence their banning. If we had kept them around it would have been a net loss to cc.com. I stand by cc.com's ban of all the individuals (at least the ones I was around to see... I've only been on the site a year).

Good luck with your site. I think it would be in you and your sites best interests to answer some or all of my questions especially if you want a.com to go somewhere. wave.gif

Thanks. And iceguy is right about this

maybe you could enlighten him NOLSe; at one time you PMed me on a.com asking why you were banned; if you remember, I told you that you should not be banned, and quickly fixed the problem (the problem being exactly the same IP blocking problem I’ve described above).

it happened to me and has since been fixed.

I've looked at a.com, hoping to find something of value there, something of interest. Most of the content seems to be spent bitching about people from cc.com. It's fine with me if people want to bitch about people from this site, though it strikes me as peurile and, well, feminine, you'll have a much better site once you can (if you can) steer your participants attention towards climbing related things rather than ego venting. Just my 2 cents