Mowich Lake Road/SR 165

SmilingWhiteKnuckles

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The road is usually closed at the gate during the winter...which is about 5 miles from Mowich Lake. If the freezing level has been high and there's been little snow, it maybe possible to drive to the gate and park there in the parking lot. If the freezing level has been lower and/or there's snow on the road, you may need to park along the road below the gate. Ski the road in light gear, and the milage will fly by...especially on the way down. In some years...when the snow level is way low...it's possible one might need to ski up to 5+ miles just to get to the gate (which makes for a good workout, if nothing less).

Beware of the snow machines below the gate...and be sure to take a shovel in case you get stuck when you park alongside the road (many folks get stuck).

The gate was closed on October 18.

We, too, were going to do Observation again, but were going to take our mountain bikes instead of walking. It would be sort of a grunt going up, but coming down would be a blast. If I went in this weekend, I'd at least bring mtn. bike along.

The gate was closed on October 18.

We, too, were going to do Observation again, but were going to take our mountain bikes instead of walking. It would be sort of a grunt going up, but coming down would be a blast. If I went in this weekend, I'd at least bring mtn. bike along.

How far up the road do you think you'll get before there is too much snow to bike?