2005 New Year's Climbing Goals

texplorer

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who made some progress on their list?

I had an incredible year, but this is how I compare to my list from last december:

Goals:

more solid as a 10/11 trad leader - kind of

lead harder ice - getting there

routes:

Liberty Ridge - failed

ice FAs in Idaho - failed

Enclosure Couloir - failed

OS/Orbit linkup - failed

Hood, NF - failed

Eldo, NE Couloir - failed

must stop:

climbing the Beckey route on Liberty Bell - done

bitching about weather - failed

spraying... - failed

There's always next year. rolleyes.gif

Ok, maybe if I write them down i'm more likely to do finish them! cantfocus.gif

1. Onsight Zebra-Zion, get the Pioneer Route on Monkeyface, and

2. finish BBQ the Pope withoutjavascript:void(0)

fruit.gif pitching off!

3. Outer Space and

4. Orbit.

5. Stuart West Ridge.

6. Sit on the top of Liberty Bell.

7. Rainer

8. Get a weekend climbing in the Enchantments.

9. Climb something with my Dad.

10. Spend more weekends out in the mountains then I did this year!

11. Not really climbing... but get back on Ski's again!

12. Oh, and again not climbing, but there's a definite misery factor involved, and it's an upleasant journey for a worthwhile goal but....

finis my Dissertation and get my ass out of school! grin.gif

1. check smile.gif f'in sweeeeeettt!

2. check smile.gif

3. nope

4. check smile.gif

5. nope frown.gif

6. nope, but had great views from Concorde and Cutthroat!

7. nope frown.gif cancelled my plans when the conditions were shit, and wasn't in shape when they cam back in mad.gif

8. nope frown.giffrown.gif So bummed!

9. nope frown.gif Not sure he's interested any more? Maybe a mild glacier next year.

10. Don't know but I had fun regardless! smile.gif

11. check smile.gif Just bought ski's and boots so i'm working on it! cantfocus.gif

12. check smile.gif Woohooo the gawdaful thing is finished!!! fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

and bumped my hardest onsight grade from 5.9 last year to 5.10c this year!!!! rockband.gif

so 6/12 with +1 bonus! Hell of a year!

Funny how ambitions never really match up with reality...I tried to set even modest goals for myself for 2005, which meant that I would finally finally tick some things off the list so I could concentrate on other shite. Well, some of that happened (thanks all you who helped but especially to my wife who happily fills in as my partner when all my other partners bail) but not nearly enough, for lots of reasons and excuses.

This year, 2006, is looking up, however. I am not getting married, having kids (that I know of?), changing jobs (that I know of?), buying a house, remodelling my house, sailing a large boat, or having my parents visit for the month of August. Which means there is nothing for me to do but climb! Thats the theory anyway.

just added it up and I am on track for 25% climbing days in 2005. yay me *thump* *thump*.

did the partner tally too, and of the idiots who both post to this website and climbed with my sorry ass the biggest idiot of them all award goes to....

Tanstaafl!

congratulations to runner-ups jmace and dru. Thanks to all the other jerkies who held a rope for me too, cascadeclimber, specialed, alpinfox, Mer, NOLSe, Muffy, Badvoodoo, Geek, Wirlwind, Luwayo, anyone else I missed.

Turns out my biggest accomplishment was climbing with Fern. Can I be a bigger idiot next year, please??

After a couple of good ice climbing trips early in the year, I didn’t get up a damn thing I meant to climb this summer. Failed on multiple routes in the North Cascades, due primarily to being a huge wimp.

I did however settle unfinished business and got up Sun Ribbon Arete on Temple Crag. Also made it to the Bugaboos where I climbed about half as much as I'd hoped, and made my first trip to the Gunks as well, where my accomplishments included pulling on gear on 5.7 and hanging on 5.8+.

Finally led 10d clean (not at the Gunks). That was nice.

2005 overall objective was to do as much as possible which turned out to be 42 outings, 110,000 ft vertical climbed this year, cascades, canada & california. a lot of it was treks, a lot of it was solo but some good roped climbs also. everyone I met and climbed or hiked with from cc.com was great. 2006 hopefully the same.