Moderate winter one day objectives? What to climb?

Tanner

blanshard needle - take a large nut or two and a #2 camalot or equivalent size hex plus a bunch of slings for trees. dont think there will be any ice it is usually snowed up rock + heather+ trees

they lock the gate after dark, usually around 5 PM or so. you may have to hurry back down the trail to get out in time.

mtn bikes will not help much in snow. they could be slightly faster for a few kms coming out from sky pilot (from snowline on down the road) but wont be any faster going in

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the road was good for riding, I.E. No snow or ice you could maybe shave an hour off Dons time. There is probably not a very good chance of getting sky done in a day right now.

sunrise 8:01 Sunset 4:15

maybe later on in the year, better to ride a dirt bike if the road is clear. I rode one to the base of Habrich trail in summer.

Gate and times to worry about in Golden Ears, probably snowy wet rock, just need slings and hands and a walking axe.

My suggestion is do something that you wont fail at at 10 in the morning when you realize there is no time to do what you want to do or the conditions are not right.

Fly up to Lions bay, hike up lions trail have a look at the harvey ramp from second switch back if you like it go for it, other wise you can head up to the lion or Brunswick and still have a good day out in the hills. Even if the weather doesnt cooperate at least your gettin out and gettin a feel for the conditions and you can still get a peak bagged.

Have Fun

J

You can climb something like Blanshard or The Lions no matter what conditions are like so they make a good destination when you don't know how the weather's going to be. What is an easy scramble when sunny and warm, and an easy snow-climb when covered with an April snowpack, can become quite interesting and challenging with a layer of thin melting snow, verglas, hoarfrost or in the pouring rain.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming into this a bit late.... but I noticed no one had anything to say about the N.Face of Cheam. Is it not recommended or was it just too early in the season while this thread was going? I'm thinking of taking a look at it this weekend...

Nic