Moderate winter one day objectives? What to climb?

Tanner

MY buddy steve and I are looking for a moderate one day winter climb. Easy Ice/mixed low 5th class, snow faces...

anything between Vancouver and hope is close enought.

I Only have a Two wheel drive so thats limiting for some areas. I was thinking about Welch peak, cheam, or somthing accross from yak peak(adventure climb)

Any Ideas of routes and the access/approch info would be great!

Tanner

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard route on The Lions, or the NE buttress of the West Lion for more of a challenge.

I wouldn't call Needle (across from Yak) an "adventure climb" yellaf.gif cause its one of the most popular winter destinations around.

Welch is kind of long to do as a day trip with only a 2wd. Make a good weekend out of it.

Standard route on Blanshard Needle is a lot of fun in the winter.

Or how about - Ben Lomond. Take the skicapilano.com shuttle up the Furry Creek road and giv'er from road end!

North face ramp on Mt Harvey is a real good alpine cruise too. DEpending on conditions and choice of route from top of ramp to east ridge crest, it can vary from all 45 degree snow ramps plus some tree thrashing, up to short 60 degree WI2 and easy mixed rock

I tried the North Ridge of Needle Peak (across from Yak) two weeks ago. We were stopped by darkness and some tricky slabs (dry slabs, no ice or pro). We approached by walking up the creek valley directly from the sand shed, bush is light to non-existant, don't hike up the standard trail or you'll have to rap/harsh bush bash your way to the base of the face. Approach time to the base of the face from the road is < 1.5 hours. There were some sick mixed lines on the North Face slabs. Mainly moderate angled ice, but pretty thin - stubbys only! May have fattened up with the recent rains, though. There were also some fatter ice lines at the edge of the cirque but we didn't bring any screws. There's something for every ability level up there, I'm surprised that it hasn't seen more winter action (mabye it has?). Watch out for slides, the lower cirque area would be dangerous after a big dump.

I tried the North Ridge of Needle Peak (across from Yak) two weeks ago. We were stopped by darkness and some tricky slabs (dry slabs, no ice or pro). We approached by walking up the creek valley directly from the sand shed, bush is light to non-existant, don't hike up the standard trail or you'll have to rap/harsh bush bash your way to the base of the face. Approach time to the base of the face from the road is < 1.5 hours. There were some sick mixed lines on the North Face slabs. Mainly moderate angled ice, but pretty thin - stubbys only! May have fattened up with the recent rains, though. There were also some fatter ice lines at the edge of the cirque but we didn't bring any screws. There's something for every ability level up there, I'm surprised that it hasn't seen more winter action (mabye it has?). Watch out for slides, the lower cirque area would be dangerous after a big dump .

Sheer suicide. No one has been dumb enough to attempt it. Todd you familiar with what the publishing industry terms a "kill fee"? grin.gif

Harvey Ramp is not in, was in that area on Sunday. It was plus 5 on top of Cypress yesterday. The Storms keep comin from the south. If any snow falls on the mountains after the cold sunny temps on the weekend I would STAY AWAY for awhile.

Welch, I suppose how far you make it up the road, I was there about 3 weeks ago and it took me a couple of hours to reach the lake from a couple of switch backs down.

Fuck ya on the ski capilano thing, I will be checkin that out, I wonder if you can stay overnight since the 9:30 take off time is a tad late.

Edited by jmace

The Stawamus river Road was closed for the season on Dec 03, makes for a long walk. I would take Dru's advice and call ski capilano.

Better would be his suggestion of Blanshard, I would go via Alouette.

Fri might even work out for you WX wise, but its movin in quick.

J

I think we are going to try sky pilot on friday it seem more reasonable and the weather will be better then anyday. The northeast route looks like fun, It looks steep in the guide book (Fairley's guide) Any one know how steep it is?

the NE route is seldom in. there's a steep rockband low down that requires considerable ice formation to enable climbing it. probably 75º thin ice for maybe 2 pitches, then it's 50º snow. so i would not classify that as "moderate".

usually it's better to climb to Gunsight Gap, then just do the E face. or traverse a ropelength right from below GG, then complete the upper part of the NE face.

i presume the road is gated down by the Mamquam Main (usually is in winter). if u get bomber snow, you can walk from the gate at the front-end on the road to the back-end of the Shannon Ck road in about 4 hours. then it's maybe 2-3 hours up (via GG and E face), provided again u have bomber snow, in which case u don't need to screw around with belays. otherwise, add quite a few hours.

for the E face, you probably don't need gear at all. if you want the security, don't take more than a light rope and a few slings - you won't find ice for screws, and most of the rock will be submerged in snow. you'll be boot-axe belaying, and/or anchored to trees.

you can exit via the basin to the east direct to the valley. i seem to recall starting down in the middle, then almost immediately staying hard right (facing out). it's steep, but it goes.

btw, i second the lions suggestion.

ditto the ramp on harvey - i've done that 3 times in winter (twice on my own), and never came close to thinking there was anything worth belaying. if u encounter something thin, just move left.

just rambling up Brunswick is also good - the summit ridge is quite "alpine", especially in poor weather.

and Blanshard is also really good. most people probably will want to belay the initial little step - the rest is exposed and a bit complicated for route-finding, but not likely to require a rope if you have firm conditions.

(suit yourself on all these comments re: rope or not, of course. i just try to avoid it whenever possible, cuz there's always BIG time-pressure in winter. and you're looking for "moderate"...)

cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl

W/ Blachard peak, is it mostly climbing on snowy rock or would there be snow/ice climbing involed as well? Since its a park are there gate times to worry about? What would that route likly need for gear? 2 tools, no tools, ice pro, rock pro or no pro?

I wish I had 2 or 3 days in a row! this would be way easyer

Thanks

Oh, with mountain Bikes could the gated road to sky pilot be tamed?