[TR] Howe Sound and Chilliwack Valley- Climbing and Digging 12/11/2004

Dru

Climb: Howe Sound and Chilliwack Valley-Climbing and Digging

Date of Climb: 12/11/2004

Trip Report:

What a great weekend fruit.gif

Party - Friday night.

Saturday morning - off to Horseshoe Bay. Board water taxi with 11 other people plus dog. 40 minute boat ride to Anvil Island.

Pay off bible camp caretaker, find trail, hike to summit of Leading Peak. Fun day out with good views. There are some neat crags on Anvil but none of the rock is granite. Great views of Howe Sound and Garibaldi.

Ran back down to the dock in order to distract the water taxi operator while some hikers straggled in a bit late. then it was off to the Troller for beers bigdrink.gif

If you don't know where Anvil Island is it is the pointy island/mountain you pass on your left side just by Porteau when driving up to Squamish. thumbs_up.gif

Then on Sunday I was supposed to go climbing in Golden Ears but both Shaun and I slept thru our alarms. By the time we met in Chilliwack it was ~8:30 so we decided to just spend the day checking out conditions.

Jones Lake: north faces in Cheam Range had a lot of powder snow. Looks like there is a great ski route down the SE face of Cheam to the base of Lady's NE buttress. Trevor would do it!

Nesakwatch Creek: spent 2 hrs filling in the infamous washout, which has washed out AGAIN. Got Shauns truck through only to find that there is anotherwashout just past the Slesse Memorial trail fork on "Gate Hill". Great view of Slesse and thin ice on the Illusion Peaks, nothing worth climbing yet so we went and ate burgers instead cheeburga_ron.gif

Very nice 2 days of blue sky in December! laugh.gif

Gear Notes:

Beer

Hiking boots

F250 pickup

Water taxi

Approach Notes:

Howe Sound

Logging road

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our farm in Chilliwack is less than ten minutes from Cheam, so if you ever want to know the current conditions all I need to do is look out our back window and I can tell you!

From one spot on the property, it is possible to see the tip of Slesse peaking over the proximate ridgeline that separates us from the mountain.

Peace,

D-d0g