• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
barjor

Solo permit for Rainer

What does it take to get the solo climbing permit for Mt Rainer? How many peaks and formal training do you really need or is it more a liability issue?

Edited by barjor

I picked up a solo permit last year. My resume of climbs was nothing out of the ordinary. Been climbing for about nine years, said on my app that I would only be considering soloing one of the dog routes and probably go late in the summer, don't know if that made any difference.

My guess is that by the questions that are asked on the application, the park service just wants to make sure you are well aware of the ramifications of solo travel and of an unroped crevasse fall and how you might initiate self-rescue.

My guess is that by the questions that are asked on the application, the park service just wants to make sure you are well aware of the ramifications of solo travel and of an unroped crevasse fall and how you might initiate self-rescue.

i agree. i was approved for a solo permit not too far back and my climbing resume is by no means impressive. i do, though, have some glacier and altitude travel experience (including as the lead up a couple of local volcanos.) and i also have practiced crevasse rescue skills and am rather conscientious about things like this. or at least i try to be! tongue.gif

How are crevasse rescue skills relevant on a solo climb?

Because you'll know what techniques they're using when they recover your body wink.gif

Self-belaying?

Write down that you read about Tejas' FWA (solo) of Denali and plan to strap a 12-foot aluminum ladder to your back... hahaha.gif

i'm not sure if you were being facetious with this question. the permit application specifically asks about your crevasse rescue experience and "Methods of self-belay and self-rescue from a crevasse." what would you do if you fell in a crevasse while you were soloing? if you haven't thought about this, you have no business soloing.