Solo permit for Rainer

barjor

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a solo permit last year. My resume of climbs was nothing out of the ordinary. Been climbing for about nine years, said on my app that I would only be considering soloing one of the dog routes and probably go late in the summer, don't know if that made any difference.

My guess is that by the questions that are asked on the application, the park service just wants to make sure you are well aware of the ramifications of solo travel and of an unroped crevasse fall and how you might initiate self-rescue.

My guess is that by the questions that are asked on the application, the park service just wants to make sure you are well aware of the ramifications of solo travel and of an unroped crevasse fall and how you might initiate self-rescue.

i agree. i was approved for a solo permit not too far back and my climbing resume is by no means impressive. i do, though, have some glacier and altitude travel experience (including as the lead up a couple of local volcanos.) and i also have practiced crevasse rescue skills and am rather conscientious about things like this. or at least i try to be! tongue.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How are crevasse rescue skills relevant on a solo climb?

i'm not sure if you were being facetious with this question. the permit application specifically asks about your crevasse rescue experience and "Methods of self-belay and self-rescue from a crevasse." what would you do if you fell in a crevasse while you were soloing? if you haven't thought about this, you have no business soloing.