[TR] a tree- some route 12/11/2004

corvallisclimb

Climb: a tree-some route

Date of Climb: 12/11/2004

Trip Report:

it was 12:15 at night here in corvallis... not much to do sooo why not go aid up a tree in the rain? my buddy adam and i gatherd the gear and where hiking into the tree by 1:00am we got there and climbed up immediatly, and then rapped off... fun right? back to the car by 3:20am

5913IMG_0288-med.JPG

looking down at the ground!

5913IMG_0293-med.JPG

looking down route!

5913IMG_0292-med.JPG

bomber anchor!

5913IMG_0294-med.JPG

thats adam he lurks as (pfleger) mabey hell post something

5913IMG_0301-med.JPG

rapping into the abyss!!

5913IMG_0303-med.JPG

hiking out like a bad ass

yes we are extreme

Gear Notes:

nails, rivet hangers, giant eye screws, a pin, slings, and boredom

Approach Notes:

wild

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJZ told me I should look at this post. I'm fairly disgusted by what you did. I understand that you've probably never been instructed in proper tree climbing, so I'll try and help you a little should you choose to climb another tree.

In the first place you are climbing a living thing for recreation. It is totally unacceptable to damage a tree for recreation. Even for work the only time we puncture the bark of a tree is when we are cutting it down.

Secondly all you had to do is throw your rope over a stout enough branch crotch, rap out, then pull your rope. Doing it that way you would leave no gear.

If you ever feel inclined to climb another big tree contact my friend Vern at Beuna Vista Arbor Care. Tell him Kurt says you guys need help. wave.gif

Do not ever do that again. madgo_ron.gif

adams dad is a tree climber for the government, if we wanted to climb trees with crossbows and and proper equipment we could. you guys just talk shit and say your disgusted(wich to me means your pretty sickened by our actions, wich is sad, and makes me feel pretty shitty). but we are just kids getting out and having some fun us putting 2 nails and 2 eye screws and a pin in a tree that you will never see and no one else probably will come look at this tree, unless they are planning on cutting it down, isnt really going to hurt any one. if we remove the gear wich we did, it poses no real longterm damage to the tree. so you guys hop back in your gas guzzlin, exhaust ridden tacomas or what ever you have and go save the environment.

Your nails and screws may not affect the tree, but they might lead to infection for the tree.

After many years spent wandering in wild (or at least non-paved) places, I am saddened and a little disgusted with the senseless, destructive things people do. Industrial damage is bad enough, but seems to have some purpose sometimes. Recreational damage is painful to witness. You have to draw a line somewhere.

When faced with any similar issue, I ask myself "What would happen if 10 people did this? or a hundred? By this standard I can judge just how harmless something really is, and it reminds me that I am not so special that I should try to "get away with it."

Try to temper your outdoor recreation with a little compassion and humility.

Okay, so I talked to a forestry professor of 25 years at Oregon State University. The probability of that causing disease to the tree is slim to non. Arborists cause much biggger wounds to trees by cutting limbs and leaving even more exposed area then our 2 nails 2 screws and pins, wich where removed. Some arborists use a sort of paint on sheild for the tree but some others tend to find this pointless. We chose a tree in a spot where no one goes and no one probably will go for a long time, like I said the first person to go to this tree will probably be there to cut it down. To a tree of that size a nail is like a pinprick, why dont you guys spray foresters for core samples, your arborist friends for cutting limbs. How many of you feel the need to go out and do something like this? So I dont belive there is going to be some huge movment of people going and nailing up trees. We used natural protection when ever possible, and tryed as many techniques as we could to not hammer or screw anything in. Its extremely saddening to me that our boredom leads to someones disgust, and like I said in my other post disgust is a pretty strong word for this topic. Our damage to this tree that non of you will ever see, was so minimial compared to what we could have been doing, or what else is going on out there right now. By my next trip out there I would expect all of the wounds to be coverd with moss and totaly unoticable. I find it really sad that you guys spray me for something like this, when I'm sure you all drive cars that kill trees and numerous other things, support companys that kill the enviorment etc. etc. and you make me and my buddy out to be huge ass holes, that dont give a fuck about then enviorment. If you guys want to see something written by a professor ask, and mabey I'll squeeze some text out of him. Now quit making us kids trying to have fun continually feel like the devils in society.

Not trying to make you feel like an asshole. Hell, I guarantee I did things far more destructive, with less excuse than boredom. Probably guilt is the true root of my reaction to that sort of activity now.

Anyway, you did your route in poor style, and tried to brag about it. Climb it clean, then you have something to spray about!

Dude, I'm sorry that people are so retarded. I totally support your desire to aid up trees in the rain. It's fun, it makes no sense, and its fun... I've done shit like this before and will do it many times again becuase it's fun. He wasn't bragging about how good his climbing ethics were, he was telling us about the fun thing he did. Leave him alone. corvallisclimb, keep up the good times.

Look lets say I'm bored. I decide that I'm going to have a fun time by going over to my neighbor's house and kick his dog for a while. As long as I don't get to agro the dog will be just fine...so there shouldn't be a problem. smirk.gif

If you went out to Smith and started drilling and aiding a new bolt ladder right near 5 gallon buckets do you think someone would complain?

There are ethics with all forms of climbing, and your ascent shows a total disregard for the ethics of tree climbing.

On top of that I'm trying to tell you that there's a way to climb trees where you don't have to leave anything behind. So I'm also trying to help you save money too.

I've climbed trees for about 15 years as a full time job, and I've never found one where I had to leave anything behind to get back to the ground.

Your comments about what arborists do to trees are laughable, so I wont even bother to respond to them. You might try checking aout a book by Alex Shigo if you want to actually start learning about tree structure and the effects of pruning cuts.

If you really want to climb trees, as I noted above, talk to my friend Vern he lives about 10 miles from Corvallis. I've been up 300' plus firs with him about 40 minutes drive from Corvallis.

How in any way is climbing a tree in bad style comparable to kicking a dog? Adam knows Vern, youve been up the same 300' firs on the western side of marys peak, that they go and climb, Adam should chime in and post some pictures of climbing a tree in good style. This tree isnt at smith rock nor is it like a dog in anyway. Oh shit I forgot to mention the tree is on my property smile.gif mabey I'll go dog kicking next time...

I appreciate the concerns about the tree’s health and advice to seek more information on climbing trees in “proper” fashion. I understand that the affects of drilling holes into a tree can open its vulnerability to infections and outside parasites. Also I have climbed numerous large Douglas firs using techniques with girth hitches, lanyards, and cross bows, all ways with minimal to no damage. And if climbing a tree multiply times leaving a wire cable looped around the tree in the canopy and run the rope though that to keep from cause rope burn when pulling the rope out of the tree. When we climbed that tree and inflicted that damage we believed that it would be able to recover with no harm based on its already healthy conditions and its undisturbed location from human influences. We were just getting outside and checking things out from a different perspective by no means are we bragging or showing the best way to do things. I think that this line of ethics could very well be argued from either side just depending on the perspective that you look at this from.

591301_1_b.jpg

Gaffs are for killing not for climbing a tree to prune it. Trust me you can get into 98% of the trees out there without them.

You can fuck up whatever you want on your property, but if you're going to post a tr about a climb in bad style then you may as well be aiding a free climb at a crag packed with people.

• 11 months later...

Shit - thanks for bumping this back to the top! I needed a good laugh. Now lets debate the ethics of the style which I employed during my climb out of bed this morning.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

For what it's worth - I value the pointless but extremely entertaining TRs just as much as I value the seriously impressive ones.

Happy Holidays! bigdrink.gif