Hey GaperJeffey: R:ex question

Sloggo

I saw you've got a r:ex/Diamir rig in your quiver. How has this worked for you? I've got Denalis/FR in need of a ski. Me: 5'7", 150, decent skier (off-piste at resort/easy volcano skis in spring/summer, no hucks or warp speeding.) Can get new ones (177?) for about $350. Are the r:ex's mega stiff? I've fondeled them and they did feel quite stout, but was wondering how they ski. Also considering Havocs. Thanks. R:ex seems to be too few characters for the search function.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The REXs (aka 10EXs, TMEXs, MEXs and TM:Xs) completely rock. I'm about the same dimensions as you (me: 5'8" and 155) and have the 177s. I don't think they're too stiff, they really do great in heavy snow--they don't get deflected at all. Iain also has REXs which I heard he skis with Denalis. For $350 I'd get them, I sort of wish I had another pair with Dynafits on them for BC.

These are great skis if you like to go fast. Unfortunately they do not do quite so well at slower speeds or tight areas. They are not the most forgiving boards out there. For their stiffness they are "reasonably" light for AT. I would take the R:ex over the Havoc. I love mine and use them all the time. I am in the 180's, 6', and have the 184 R:ex from about 2 years ago. The hilarious part is they are considered midfats now. They look downright skinny next to some Karhu Jaks.

Havocs are in play because they (using the international standard bending-at-the-shop technique) feel a touch more forgiving and, though it isn't much of a difference, are lighter (by a measley 2 oz.) (173) than the r:ex (177) and fatter (88 vs. 84), FWIW.

I doubt you would be disappointed with either of them. Havocs have a bit of a twin tip to them if I'm not mistaken. That's always fun. The R:ex is actually railed in the back from the factory (like many Atomic skis) this is apparently "a feature" according to Atomic.

I doubt you would be disappointed with either of them. Havocs have a bit of a twin tip to them if I'm not mistaken. That's always fun. The R:ex is actually railed in the back from the factory (like many Atomic skis) this is apparently "a feature" according to Atomic.

Havocs & Crossbows, hailing from the same factory, also come concave.