Death at the Coulee

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWSFLASH UPDATE 10/1/2002: Goran Kropp has died climbing. Various sources are reporting to EverestNews.com that Goran died climbing yesterday.

Renata Chlumska, Goran's girlfriend, and the first Swedish woman to summit Everest, was not with him when the accident occurred. More soon....

No, not alot there. [Roll Eyes]

This is true.

I was Göran's belayer.

He was within feet of the top on Air Guitar when he fell. The rope went slack, then started to rip the gear. The entire chain of pro that he had placed up to that point ripped. He impacted the shelf from which I was belaying. Then continued to fall onto the talus another 25 feet. The one piece that remained in the crack pulled him from the talus back onto the climbers' path. He was dead on first impact, he did not suffer.

I lost my hero yesterday. It was a sad day for humanity.

I ask that please let us talk to the family, and contact all next of kin before any frenzy is created over this accident.

Thank you.

Erden.

[ 10-05-2002, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: erden ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

What a sad and pathetic way for one of the world's greatest and most original athletes to go.

Bicycle from Sweden to the summit of Everest and back (along with a long list of other amazing accomplishments) and then die on a miserable choss-crag in eastern Washington! Oy! Yet another reason to hate Vantage.- Dwayner
[Frown]

Is nothing sacred from your vantage/bolt bashing?

quote:

Originally posted by Dwayner:

What a sad and pathetic way for one of the world's greatest and most original athletes to go.

Bicycle from Sweden to the summit of Everest and back (along with a long list of other amazing accomplishments) and then die on a miserable choss-crag in eastern Washington! Oy! Yet another reason to hate Vantage.- Dwayner
[Frown]

Dwayner - Thanks for establishing yourself as a prick once again. Where I hold no love for the climbing area at Vantage, that is immaterial. Goran apparently died enjoying a sport that he loves, climbing. How pathetic is it to die doing something that you gain such enjoyment and personal fulfillment from, as Goran surely did? Piss off, Dwayner. My condolences to Goran's family and to Erden as well.

Greg W [big Drink]

i was at the coulee yesterday with a friend. we made a quick stop at the portapotties before going back to the feathers to climb. there was only one other vehicle there and when we left the lot it had taken off, leaving a guy in a down jacket and a hat standing there with a pack or two. i wonder if that was erden ...

what an eerie feeling. eerie and sad. [Frown]