Randonnee binding for Mountaineering boots?

obsydian

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silvretta 555s and the new Silvretta Pur will work with a number of plastic climbing boots. The Silvretta 500 fits even more boots. The rest depends on how well you ski with bad boots. Most times I would rather climb in rando boots than ski in mountaineering boots, but it would depend on the route.

I read scary stories about injuries skiing with 404/500 WITH ski boots.

Z

As I get it, accidents with 404's and 500's usually involve expectations for them to release like a downhill binding - which they don't. I have a pair that I purely use for approach skis on climbs. If I'm going backcountry skiing, then I use a different pair.

If you're looking for one binding setup to do it all, I'd recommend a pair of Fritschis. Scarpa Invernos and Alphas do fit securely. yellaf.gif

I ski a dynafit setup and climb in now defunct MLT4's w/Thermos. My 'approach' skis are D410s (the shorties) with the simple TT bindings on them.

How does skiing in climbing boots rate?

It sucks. This is an approach/trail setup. Like in this photo shocked.gif where I was thinking that MLT4s on 130cm was not the wisest choice for this headwall.

http://ftp.backpackinglight.com/galleries/Beartooths04/imagepages/image36.html

With long skis, you don't have any boot power to muscle the ski on the steeps, and with short skis, you can't track very well, especially when wearing a pack.

Bottom line is, tho, you'll get used to it and figure out how to compensate. Just don't have your expectations up too high.

Silvretta 555s and the new Silvretta Pur will work with a number of plastic climbing boots. The Silvretta 500 fits even more boots. The rest depends on how well you ski with bad boots. Most times I would rather climb in rando boots than ski in mountaineering boots, but it would depend on the route.

Yes they can both work but Silvretta does not recommend using the pur a non din soled boot. The binding releases by allowing the toe to slip sideways out of the binding as opposed to the heel popping out like with the 500. Because a climbing boot will be more flexable in the ankle it will be more difficult to generate the torque to get the toe out as opposed to the heel. Also for boots with a rand, it looks like the toe piece of the pur will quickly wear a hole in rand. I tried them several times with my civetta's and at the lowest din I could already see marks in the rand. One other problem is getting the toe piece low enough to grab the toe welt.

Interesting. As luck would have it, tomorrow I'm going to try my Koflachs with rando skis for the very first time.

This will also be the first time back on skis in over 10 years. blush.gif

Should I die, I'd like to will the following gear.......

Doing my civic duty and reporting back. This reply is pretty much aimed at Obsydian's original question about bindings and anyone else who might be interested in trying this type of setup.

First the gear: The skis (rentals crazy.gif) were K2 Shuksans 195s with Silvretta 404 bindings. My boots are Koflachs (generic gray model... 'cheap-Os').

Bindings - The boots had a reasonable connection to the skis using the 404s, however they don't seem to have the same positive "click" that you get with a downhill setup. I found I had to crank up the din for my lardass because I found it easy to pop out on crashes (there were many frown.gif). Your toes are locked in with a toe bail so in really nasty crash it might not be pretty.

Climbing - With skins, these skis f'n rocked! Very impressed with their traction and the ability to have the heels unlock. Using the climbing bars I sailed right up Palmer on Hood. I've done my fair share of snowshoeing and have to say that I would be willing to exchange them for this setup in many situtions (short of maybe steeper icy sections). There is good reason why many people use AT/randonee shit for skimountaineering. I have seen the light! laugh.gif

Ski descent - Ok, now THIS was just plain stupid. Saying this "sucked" would be too nice. My skiing skills are very rusty and I should have gone with a shorter ski(should have tried 175s for this first time just to get the feel of 'em), but, that aside, the lack of feel I found with the climbing boots and the binding's tendency to release fairly easily made the whole descent a big joke. I really never appreciated how much more a good ski boot hugs your entire foot to allow you to steer the ski; a lace-up mountaineering boot simply can't provide this. Much too soft with it's pivotting ankle hinge.

My advice - make sure your skills are at least "somewhat current" and try the setup with rando boots. Or as others have pointed out don't have your hopes up like I did. madgo_ron.gif

My .02 .