Scarpa Freney XT

Ade

Does anyone have any experience with these? I need to replace my ice climbing / Cascades winter mountaineering boots and these are up for consideration. I want to replace my Tecnica Altis with something warmer and a bit more durable. The Altis were an uninsulated kevlar boot. I got cold feet and had problems keeping them waterproof on extended trips or in wet snow.

As for the Freneys I'm concerned about their waterproofness. Several things I've read suggest that they're not as waterproof as a lot of other boots. They're very light so I'm figuring that they not that durable either.

Anyone have any direct experience with these?

Other suggestions welcome. I need something that has a groove for a crampon bail and that will serve double duty for all winter climbing. I have wide feet so fit is also an issue.

Cheers,

Ade

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a pair of these and really like them. They're real light and comfortable for my feet. I used them in the Rockies, where everything is so dry, waterproofness is not as much of an issue as it might be out here so I can't comment on that yet. Alex also has a pair and he said that they hurt his toes when he's walking downhill and he has wide feet. I didn't have this problem though.

I have a pair, but have only used them a handful of times (too busy skiing rolleyes.gif). I came from uninsulated leathers as well, these are way warmer than my old Sportiva Eigers.

The sole is a bit fragile, chunks of rubber around the edges have been ripped out. Haven't done any postholing, so I can't comment on the waterproofness. I think I'll seamgrip the seams for better abraision resistance.

Very light and dexterous. I wouldn't mind them being a bit stiffer, but I put more leverage on the sole than most. I have wide, flat feet, and these fit pretty well.

I have a pair of Cumbres, and although different boots, they fit my wide feet - mabye Scarpas = wide? I find the Cumbres light and nimble but nice & stiff too. Perfect waterproofness (with some treatment) and no lost rubber chunks. A great boot that would be ample for climbers with way more ability than myself!!

I have a pair of Cumbres, and although different boots, they fit my wide feet - mabye Scarpas = wide? I find the Cumbres light and nimble but nice & stiff too. Perfect waterproofness (with some treatment) and no lost rubber chunks. A great boot that would be ample for climbers with way more ability than myself!!

I'm thinking they might be a really good option. Of course I don't seem to be able to find anyone that stocks them in the Seattle area.

The XT hurts my feet walking downhill, but climbs really well.

So I've pretty much resigned myself to use them for roadside ice, and break out the old Freneys for alpine trips.

specialed sent Sea of Gapors the first day he wore them, so they can't be all bad wink.gif

• 1 month later...

So I tried a pair of these on and bouldered around in them for a bit. The sole on the XT seemed incredibly soft. Standing on the toes I could completely deform the front edge of the sole crushing the bail groove. The seems to be because they don't have a thicker sub-sole so give more rigidity.

Ended up going with the Nepal Extremes, largely because I could get a better fit out of them and they're built to keep out the wet. Never did find a pair of Cumbres to try on. The few days ice I've had out of the Extremes so far they've done really well so we'll see.

Incidently BD are selling FXs cheap at the moment. http://www.bdel.com/php/specials.php?gear=alpinism&id=298