Engagement Ring Cost Equation Question

layton

Should a wedding ring cost 3 months salary, which for people like me would = $0.00

or (and think about this)

The most you would ever concider spending on a prostitute?

The reasoning behind this is that the really expensive prostitute would end your marraige, but this one is SOOOOOO Fucking GOOD that she was worth ruining it for...so that's how much the ring should cost.

Thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Owning a beautiful semi-automatic assault rifle is much like being married to a beautiful woman...

keep it clean and well maintained, always treat it with respect, act like it's loaded at all times... and hope to die with it in your arms.

That's rich, especially the part about it being loaded all the time. thumbs_up.gif

FWIW, this 3-month salary BS is just that... BS. If I'd spent 3 month's salary on an engagement ring, my wife would've castrated me for being so stupid with our money (and yes, at that point it is our money - don't forget that).

Even when she did find the purchase/appraisal papers in the safe downstairs a coupla years later, she said, "Shit Honey, we coulda taken another 4-week vacation to Europe on that!" Whaddaya gonna do? Damned if you spend it, damned if you don't. confused.gif

my 2 bits... screw the equations about how much you should spend. don't buy a typical engagement ring (diamond solitaire) where the only difference is how big and nice the diamond is. buy something unusual, buy something vintage, buy something that you know she'll love and don't worry if it costs $50 or $5000. just make sure it shows personality and that she'll like looking at it for the next 50 years. for something unusual in pdx check out gilt on trendy-third and maloy's on 10th (by the 9th & yamhill smartpark).

Owning a beautiful semi-automatic assault rifle is much like being married to a beautiful woman...

keep it clean and well maintained, always treat it with respect, act like it's loaded at all times... and hope to die with it in your arms.

I, on the other hand, have followed the rule to treat your wife like your favorite baseball glove: never leave them out in the grass overnight; if you forget, rub down the hide with a little bit of Neatsfoot oil to prevent the hide from getting cracked and rough.

That's what I did - and I'll cherish the month-long climbing and treking trip we did togrther much better than a hyped up gem. I don't get the fasination over the engagement ring thing. It's just more stuff - expensive stuff. Is it peer pressure or something?