Need help planning Alp ski trip for wife's B-day!

PSD

My wife is turning 40 (don't tell her I told you) and she wants a "nice" ski adventure in the Alps to celebrate the big event. I know nothing about the Alps but maybe someone can help me put together the dream ski trip...

Here are the constraints:

- Timeframe is January 17 to 22 (does not include flying time)

- she is an intermediate skier w/ some backcountry experience.

- she wants an adventure but no bivying in a crevasse.

- she wants to experience some of the culture (drink beer and be merry)

- needs to stay in hotel/lodge/hostel ( no overnight trips)

- Budget is not infinite

Anyone have some suggestions? This husband needs help!

PD

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But my husband and I are headed to Interlaken (Jungfrau area of Switzerland) over Christmas. There are 3 resorts there. We are staying in Interlaken in a private room at the Happy Inn hostel for $300 for 6 nights. Sorry to say, but the Euro currently sucks. Go for the Swiss franc, which isn't that great, but a little better. Try these websites:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/

http://www.happyinn.com/index.php?mod=h&kat=hohap

I can report back when I return!

smile.gif

Good luck!

Only been to Chamonix and Les Deux Alpes. Chamonix has the awesome village and climbing scene but unless you have some moutaineering skills you're stuck dealing with big lift lines and not so good terrain. If I could head anywher I'd go to St. Anton. They get the most snow, it's reasonably priced, and the terrain is supposed to be wicked. The nightlife is supposed to be good as well. bigdrink.gif

If you're looking for France, I'd say Serre-Chevalier is a good place. It's huge, and you're very close to La Grave for that day of adventurous skiing. Other resorts are close by.

Head over to the TGR forums and ask there. Buster will likely say Serre-Chevalier too (and stay in Briançon) but there are people from all over Europe there.

Have fun.

drC

Fly to Zurich/train to St Anton Austria. You can ski for days---different mtns, valleys, towns---all on the same skipass and not ski the same run. It's the highest resort in Austria as well, so it nearly always has snow.

Austria is less expensive than Switzerland, and just as gemuetlich...maybe more. Get in skischule for a few days, which really is more guided touring than instruction, with people who ski at your level and as aggressive as you want to ski. Plus you'll drink with them and have a blast.

Another vote for Serre Chevalier. I was there last Christmas of last year and it was amazing. It was $30 a day for a three day pass with those exchange rates, might be a little more. Huge ski area and linked to 4 or 5 towns I think. They even have a big concrete monolith at one town to make an ice climbing wall (weather was too warm when we were there). Lots of little restaurants and bars, and the towns are easy to walk to or a short drive from one another.

Most of the slopes in this region are aimed at intermediate skiers, but there is plenty to challenge those who are more advanced. This area is mostly above trees. The terrain ranges from gentler gladed skiing down near town to rugged and varied on the upper mtn. You can ski between St Anton (the main town) and neighboring towns of St Christoph, Lech (the ritzy set), and Zurs.

If you are looking for wild off-piste skiing, the main factor is how much snow falls this winter. But this is true for all the Euro resorts! A decent snowfall means plenty of opportunities for craziness dropping into cols, etc. (something I only watch).

One thing I like about this area is that they have skiroutes which are off-piste but not really backcountry. It would take several days of skiing hard to complete a "cirkus" of the valley---something to try mid- or late-season.

Regardless of your level, I'd recommend at least a day or two of 'ski-school.' I guarantee that there will be a group that will push your limits, plus this is the quickest way to get info (from the instructor) on where to ski, party, etc.

<a href="www.stantonamarlberg.com/" target="_blank">www.stantonamarlberg.com/</a>

http://www.goski.com/rau/stanton.htm

http://homes.tiscover.com/stanton/f_homepage...2.html

The least-expensive way to ski St Anton would be to rent a ski-apartment so that you don't have to pay the half-board or full-board at a hotel. You can get groceries & alcohol at the Spar mkt downtown each day and you're set. Buy a pass at the new wellness center and you have access to indoor & outdoor pools, sauna, everything that the nicest hotels have.

This isn't to say that St Anton would be better skiing than say the Interlaken area. That area in fact looks every bit as fun and very much the same character of skiing as St Anton. Zermatt being higher may be the best of the German-speaking ski resorts, but $$$. My wife & I have skiied together for 15 years, Canada, US and Austria, and StAnton is the place we keep going back to for the overall vacation experience (now carrying the kids too).

Edited by RobBob