Skiing in Idaho

James

I will likely be spending a few days at Priest Lake, ID at the end of this month. The people I'm going there with are talking about renting snowmobiles and riding the local groomed trails thumbs_down.gif

I'm hoping to find some human powered activities to busy myself with instead. AT is definitely at the top of my list, but some mellow ice or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get 'em to drag your ass behind them on their sleds and take you up to Mt. Roothan and/or Chimney Rock and do some cold-weather aid routes or mixed stuff. Or have them drag you over to Gunsight Peak, Harrison Peak and/or Beehive Dome. There might be some low-angled ice up thattaway, especially on Beehive. Just a thought...

I will likely be spending a few days at Priest Lake, ID at the end of this month. The people I'm going there with are talking about renting snowmobiles and riding the local groomed trails thumbs_down.gif

I'm hoping to find some human powered activities to busy myself with instead. AT is definitely at the top of my list, but some mellow ice or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Get on the sled with them and have them head up Devil's Creek towards Schweitzer Mountain Resort. Before you get to the resort you'll see groomed trails heading west/northwest (a snowmobile map will be very helpful). Follow these until you're above treeline. If you can't see something good to climb from there, sorry, can't help you.

Alternate option: Take skiing/snowboarding gear and take advantage of the 4-stroke chairlift your buddy rode in and rip up sick lines behind Schweitzer all day. Easy groomed roads back to the top for shuttling, short hike along the ridge either way guarantees you'll never cross your tracks twice. 40" of fresh in last 36 hours up there.

Have fun.

I used to run an x/c operation at Elkin's resort on Priest lake about...1983 I think. Besides the recommendations above, don't forget cool skiing under huge cedar trees worthy of anywhere in the Cascades, but with drier snow hopefully, N or the lake in the granite creek and Hulan meadows areas. Sundance Peak is also a great AT descent.