Tire chain recommendations?

dbb

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got 4 medium duty chains from Les schwab for my Tundra, paid 85$/pair. Easy to put on and to me thats worth alot. Not the beafiest chains I have seen but I usally just use them when I get stuck or ODOT makes me. Haven't used them yet so can't say anything about how they perform or how long they will last. And yes real chains is the way to go if you have space.

Edited by barjor

For some reason I thought they recommended against chaining up the front wheels on a Tundra...because it reduced the necessary slip that's needed when making turns (binds the differential, or something like that). Not sure if that's right??

Also...what'da all think 'bout putting studs on rears on a Toy? I'm not keen on the roadwear aspect, but...

I think if you are getting traction devices you should get them for all wheels. The breaking improvements are nice and the rear end won't swing around on you.

I'm assuming you are talking about a Tundra in 4wd by the way smile.gif otherwise you're not getting very far with chains on the front...

Just an fyi, schwab will not mount just front or rear studs. All 4 or nothing.

As long as you don't use the chains on hard surface or a surface that will not let the wheels slip alittle bit the Tundra will do fine. If you like your diffs don't use 4wd on pavement while you are making sharp turns. The Tundra and Tacomas have a pretty good 4wd system but it is not as civilized as the subarus and volvos "all wheel drive" systems.

I used to think chains were not necessary for 4x4. But when my Toyota Tercell slid sideways under a semi on Snoqualmie Pass, I reconsidered.

I heard Les Schwab will buy back your chains at the end of the season if they are unused.

I drove a Subaru Forester with 4 people into the Ghost using chains on all 4 tires. I saw other vehicles struggling in spots we rallied right through.

With a pickup, you are light in the rear anyway. Buy real chains even if for just the weight in the back!

Wow, a soob in the Ghost! Did you attempt the river crossings?

Seems like most of the time in other vehicles I've gotten away w/o chains almost all the time. It's just when you do need 'em...

sounds like real chains have come a ways in technology. "What, you don't have to drive on top to put em on? oooooooh". Thx