mt. hood ski circumnavigation

floodster

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Oregon Descents suggests going below Illumination Rock to cross the Reid Glacier though. I would choose to ski through the saddle instead. Then drop low around Yocum Ridge. An axe and crampons would be nice to have along. Pretty much just stay in the 8000's on the altimeter and follow the path of least resistance.

Well anything's skiable by the right people right? We skied all of it w/o any problems. The ridges are not bad at all. You could almost skin them in the right conditions. We had to de-skin once or twice due to some bulletproof icy sections. That's always a lively transition to crampons, where you find things too icy/steep to skin but have to take the skis off and put on the crampons on ice. smile.gif

edit: this was in May.

• 2 months later...

I have done this as a run a few times. It is called the "Timberline Trail" (#600, I believe). 2 days would make it pretty fun, with a camp on the north side somewhere down in the meadows. It is a beautiful trip, and if you have not been in the area that much, worth it to take your time over a few days. Many people do this hike over 3 or 4 days. The trail is usually snow-free by mid summer, though if the split in the jetstream is maintained through the rest of the season, it should open much earlier. The tricky parts are the river crossings. A girl died last year trying to do this in a rain storm.