Good winter insulated jacket -- recommendations?

crazybrit

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is too bad that they don't because they really make some great gear. I would love to try on those Neutrino’s, they look so warm for the weight. It would make a great winter jacket in all conditions. I actually like the European gear better than most of the North American stuff. They tend to be more cutting edge in the fabric department. They seem more willing to use fabrics like eVENT, Epic, Pertex Equilibrium, and so on way before most NA companies do. I think they also tend to stick with function and worry less about being flashy/trendy but that is just mho.

I actually have one product made by Rab and really like it a lot. It is well made and light for the features, warm too. It is a great 3-season jacket. If you want to read what my initial thoughts on it were, here is a link.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6217&SearchTerms=Rab,montane

Oh ya, and prolitegear rocks too, that is where I got mine from and would order from them again.

Edited by fullofadventure

What do you see as it's advantages over a Feathered Friends?

The comment on the ProLite website We've used similar down jackets and parkas from Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Marmot, and one thing is perfectly clear after you spend some time with the Rab Neutrino: it blows away the competition." is interesting but I wonder if it's fact or more marketing hyperbole?

220gr is a full ounce less insulation than the FF Volant. Plus I think I'd rathet have tuck stitching than through stitching. Also it's $80 more than the Volant w/ Hood.

Clearly they are British which is a point in their favour ;-)

One the subject of down and it's waterproofness. I was talking to someone from the Mt Shop recently. He had a FF EPIC sleeping bag and as an experiment on the last night of a multi-day skiing trip in the Wallowas when it was raining hard he put the end 5" of his bag outside of the megamid for 4 hours. Zero moisture got inside.

Yes it is too bad that they don't because they really make some great gear. I would love to try on those Neutrino’s, they look so warm for the weight. It would make a great winter jacket in all conditions. I actually like the European gear better than most of the North American stuff. They tend to be more cutting edge in the fabric department. They seem more willing to use fabrics like eVENT, Epic, Pertex Equilibrium, and so on way before most NA companies do. I think they also tend to stick with function and worry less about being flashy/trendy but that is just mho.

I actually have one product made by Rab and really like it a lot. It is well made and light for the features, warm too. It is a great 3-season jacket. If you want to read what my initial thoughts on it were, here is a link.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6217&SearchTerms=Rab,montane

Oh ya, and prolitegear rocks too, that is where I got mine from and would order from them again.

To me it all comes down to weight&features.

The Rab jacket only weighs 19.5oz and comes standard with:

Hood

Velcro adjustable cuffs

Elasticized hem with one handed pulls

The Volant does not come with the features listed above and with them added I bet the jacket would weight in the 29oz range give or take. I also like the down-filled storm flap on the outside of the zipper protecting it from the elements. The stitch-through construction does not concern me; as the jacket would be plenty warm for me and for what most people would use it for. The Rab jacket is cut longer I believe which is always nice too. Will it be as warm as the Volant I do not know but it is lighter (by 10oz) and I bet packs down smaller too. To me the $80 extra is worth the weight savings and possible smaller pack size. The guys at backpackinglight.com really like the jacket as well and I respect their opinion.

But this is just my opinion as I have never ever seen either jacket. What I do know is both are excellent products.

Edited by fullofadventure

Yeah it has nice features for sure. I'm not sold on the Pertex Quantum fabric though, especially for down. I think their Endurance jacket 21.5oz is probably closet to the Volant.

Their heavier duty Summit Jacket is interesting. 34oz but only 8.8oz of down. The FF Frontpoint (30oz with 13oz of fill) seems to compare much more favorably here. Odd.

Bummer you can't try out the Rab stuff locally.

I have a Rab bag and a FF one. Personally I prefer the Rab. I have the Epic outer on the FF and I still seem to end up with a damp bag, whether this is coming from the in or outside I can't say but I don't think Epic is a silver bullet.

I'd also go with synthetic over down for the Cascades for the most part. Certainly for multi day stuff or belaying on technical climbs things tend to get quite damp quite quickly.

As for weight it rather depends on your climbing style. I've used a lot of summer weight gear on winter routes by keeping moving. If you like to stop and take breaks a lot then you might want to consider a bigger insulating layer.

I also have a DAS and really like it although only ever really use it for belaying ice climbing. I have a Wild Things primaloft sweater that I use in the Cascades a fair bit. Really like both but wish the WT had a hood.

Can anyone recommend a jacket that sort of weight that has a large hood?

Wild Things makes a hooded Primaloft Sweater now, as well as the hooded EP Jacket.

crazybrit:

I think the Volant & Kobuk are more comparable.

The Patagonia Down Parka (since it has hood)at 22oz with 8oz of fill is more comparable to the Rab at 7.8oz of fill and a total wt of 19.5oz.

The F.F's Volant (without a hood) is 22oz with 8.6oz of fill.

The Nunatak Kobuk, without a hood is 22oz with 10oz of fill.

The best, down to jacket material, ratio I've seen. The Kobuk is in Epic or Endurance. 20oz in Petex Microlight.

I think I will be looking at the Kobuk, next time I have a bunch of loose hundreds laying around. I didn't see any recently, while digging through my couch cushions looking for gas money.

For thoses worried about room in your pack:

I have a buddy that has the Wild things parka and a DAS. Both weigh about the same. Same size (large I think). The WT's will not fit into the DAS stuff sack.

Jedi

Holy sticker shock Batman. Wow.

The Nunatak Kobuk, without a hood is 22oz with 10oz of fill.

The best, down to jacket material, ratio I've seen. The Kobuk is in Epic or Endurance. 20oz in Petex Microlight.

Tom makes some of the best down garments/sleeping bags period. I have the very first orange bag he ever made from years ago when he was out of Seattle... its still going strong after 100+ nights in it. Yeah that jacket is pricey but you will get what you pay for.

Really happy with the Arc’teryx Fission (sp)

Dunno which model it was, but I was looking at an Arc'Teryx insulated jacket a few weeks ago. First time I'd seen some form of GoreTex used with a synthetic insulation.

In any case, the CDN$700 pricetag ensured that my interest in it was only momentary.

If so they've seen the error of their ways and are now selling it for $550. rolleyes.gif

Arcteryx has to date changed the design twice now... both times dealers were allowed to clear the old design out at 50% of retail... I picked one up at 200 bucks from Bentgate.net last summer. Good parka... not as warm as a big down one (expected). One thing I would change (I'm not sure if the new design offers this) is insulate the pockets... mine has the pockets outside of the insulation so my hands don't stay warm inside the pockets unless I have gloves on.