Fat skis and Lasers

Camilo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several friends that use that combination. It works fine, but they all use their downhill boots in area for more control. They are "crasher" skiers rather than finesse skiers, so it depends a bit on your skiing style. I use Lasers with low, light thermofit liners on Jak BC's -- same dimensions as Pocket Rockets -- and actually prefer the lighter boots to my downhill boots. I turn a whole lot more than my buds.

lightest, weakest binding. cantfocus.gif

lightest, yes

weakest, no

There seem to be a number of Euro skimountaineers/tourers who mount Dynafits on fat/burly boards - they obviously like them. Now if they'd just make a brake to fit

Ask Garmont to drop their prices 10%. $630 hellno3d.gifcry.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I would hope (I have not used lasers) that the plastic is less stiff in the laser than the denali for touring's sake. The denali xt was really stiff for an AT boot, and the newer one is even stiffer! Don't they have to tack on a dynafit tax to any boot that gets the fittings? like $100 or something, I've heard.

I would hope (I have not used lasers) that the plastic is less stiff in the laser than the denali for touring's sake.

It's supposed to be less stiff; how much so seems to vary person to person. But then, I've heard all kinds of relative stiffness comparison between boots. boxing_smiley.gif Megarides are stiffer than Denalis, no they aren't boxing_smiley.gif Adrenalins are stiff, no they aren't boxing_smiley.gif

Yes, it costs about $100 at retail to have Dynafit fittings on a boot from a company like Garmont. Garmont actually takes it in the shorts on the Megaride a little in an effort to keep the price from climbing too high.

I'm sure their rationale for the non Dynafit components on the Adrenalin is that they believe someone choosing this beefy of a boot is probably going to go for a Naxo, Freeride, or if they are looking for lighter, the Silveretta Pure. I think this is a reasonable assumption. Beefy boot skiers tend to like higher DIN settings, but more importantly, they are used to performance alpine gear and would likely prefer something that resembles it in step-in and release functions for their backcountry kit.

From a practical perspective, they would sell more numbers on a less expensive Adrenalin than a more expensive model (as a Dynafit compatible one would be). If there gets to be more buyers of this sort of thing, it might open up options that wouldn't otherwise make sense.

Garmont actually takes it in the shorts on the Megaride a little in an effort to keep the price from climbing too high.

Substitute "Garmont North America" for "Garmont". Even with the Euro 50% higher than it was 2 years ago you can buy a brandnew 04-05 Megaride online, delivered from Europe for $415. That's $180 less than US retail. You can get Adrenalin's delivered from Europe for $395. That's $240 less than US retail. That's not tariffs or other taxes, that's the markup for the worthless North American distributorships madgo_ron.gif

I guess that makes sense to match the heaviest, burliest AT boot with the lightest, weakest binding.
What is your factual basis for believing they are the "weakest binding"? smileysex5.gif

No doubt. Just how is it you figure dynafit is the weakest binding. pitty.gif

I knew some of you wouldn't like that one the_finger.gif

Since the toe and the heel pieces aren't one unit, a softer flexing ski or a big impact can pre-release a boot - not to mention lower din settings than a Freeride or Naxo.