Scholler Dryskin Extreme Pants

dbb

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your interested in pants for climbing stay away from the Symmetry and go with something that has a climbing cut; the Symmetry has a big cuff (which isn't really adjustable) that fits ski boots fine, but not clkimbing boots. They're also designed for long legged thin people. A different cut than normal. Dryskin Extreme won't be too warm for most of the cascades in summer when you'd want pants.

I have a pair of the Symmetry but I've mostly used them for backcountry skiing in Montana. My normal setup, no matter how cold, even down to -40F, is silkweight tops and bottom and then Cloudveil Symmetry pants and jacket. That's all I need. It works for me for ice climbing as well. I have used them for some spring climbs in the Sierras but unless I'm in the shadows with wind, I've found them to be too warm for my tastes.

I haven't found a pair of Schoeller pants with full side-zips yet but if they made them that way, it would be ideal since you could vent them better.

As far as the cut, I've used them for alpine rock climbs without any problems (i.e. the cuffs getting in the way) and also over ski boots (Dynafit Tourlite All Terrain). Over ski boots, the fit is really tight but since the fabric stretches, it usually accomodates them well enough. I'm 6'0", 180 lbs, 30" waist, 33" inseam to give an idea of what my body style is like and I think they fit me very well.

I sleep with a TNF Alpine 3D polarguard bag rated at +35F in most situations throughout the winter in Montana as well.

And you dry towels at 0F outside by body heat, too, right? fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

I used to run wearing dryskinE pants and silkweight at 0F (fing rochester madgo_ron.gif). I was cold at the start of the run, and rarely broke a sweat. They are nice, but no piece of clothing has a 100 degree temperature range.