recomendation on tents and boots?

corvallisclimb

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been using the eldorado for a while. It's super light and great for snowy conditions. Sometimes it's a little too much for warmer weather though, but with 2 doors I get a pretty good breeze through it.

Also, having only 2 poles means that you have to position it correctly. Putting a side towards the wind will result in less space inside (wind will cave in) unless you sit against it. The ed viesturs one seems like it would be a little stronger for a couple more ounces of weight.

I've been happy with Makalus but I'm sure you can find some lighter fancier ones these days

I'd look at the Integral Designs knockoff of the Bibler.

those are great tents, i haven't used the eldo, but have used the bombshelter, great tent thumbs_up.gif

i own the mt. hardwear, but it was from sponsorship so take my opinion as you wish, i like it, nice and bright, the walls will weep on you big time, be sure to bring a towel along

don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3

I've used the MH Evo. Unless you are planning to camp in temperatures below 10 degrees, I'd look at something else. bDubyaH says "the walls will weep big time" - that's an understatement! Below 10 at least the walls only grow frost which is a lot more manageable than moisture. The reason I say "10" vs. say "30" is that it gets pretty warm in there, so an ambient outside temp of 10 may mean that you have in inside temp of 20 when occupied, and that's about the kicker temp for good frost formation.

The Bibler Eldo is OK but search other posts here for pole cap quirks, and then have a look at Integral Designs eVENT tents. The MK3 is lighter and bigger, and the eVENT smokes the Toddtex/Tegraltex fabrics, especially when it's really cold because it will be a lot easier to pack a frozen event tent - the Toddtex/Tegraltex tents absorb a lot of moisture/ice into that inner fuzzy lining and the packability can be a problem in the AM.

RJ