BC Gear Question...

sacco1

Backcountry newbie here.

Okay. So I found sweet deals on a pair of last year's Titanal III's and a pair of Scarpa Denali XT's. I'd like to get a pair of new boards for the AT setup, but don't have the cash.

I'd like to sell my alpine gear to raise the cash for new AT skis, but am worried that the AT setup will not be adequate for resort skiing.

I am a bigger skier at 225 lbs and I tend lto ski pretty hard in-bounds. I plan on skiing at most 50/50. So I guess my question is should I feel comfortable ditching my alpine gear in exchange for AT gear?

Any and all info is appreciated...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, i would keep both set ups and just work to find a good deal on some cheap downhill skis for the AT setup. try online outfits like evogear.com or go to places like gart that will have a small selection of really cheap closeout skis. or rummage through your closet to find something less useful you can sell. evils3d.gif (my thinking is that if you ski a lot you will ultimately end up with two different types of setups - maybe one fat and one not so fat - that you can choose to use depending on the conditions.)

once you go fat you never go back!

i beg to disagree -- especially if you do much resort skiing when there isn't a bunch of pow. there are some days where a good carving ski or an all-mountain/park ski are much more fun than a fatty.

And some where 200cm GS skis are much more fun cool.gif

The biggest difference is going to be in the boots. I doubt if you'll find that the Denalis are as stiff as your alpine boots (it is easy to compare). I would guess that you ought to keep an alpine setup for lifts.

The growing concensus seem to find the Denali TT as stiff as most rec alpine boots, and say 90% of highend/race boots. Unless your driving big skis at mach speed (no, most people don't) you'll be fine with an AT boot.

or at least keep your alpine boots.

True, I cram my alpine boots into my Fritchis for area days and use the Dynafits for the b.c. However, since the Dynafits are so much more comfortable I where then a lot in the area. Besides, we might just want to tour out of bounds for a run or two...

ditch away, I dropped mine in exchange for buying a pair of Atomic Tourlites w/ Fritiche (pardon the spelling) bindings. I wiegh 215 plus gear. I ski hard due to an incredible lack of technique and have no problems with them. I use them on and off slope.

Good Luck