Tele/Rando/Board battlecage

selkirk

Some will argue that a snowboard is the best tool for riding pow pow (and it certainly can be elegent) and maybe for mank, but there are three significant problems in the b.c.

- Regardless of the uphill mode - snowshoe, split board, Verts - a boarder can not set a good uptrack that can be used by a skier - so they can't break trail for the others. In addition, walking in the skin track will destroy it for reuse if you want to yo yo a slope.

- On flats, traverses, slight uphills, etc. the boarder has a very hard time "poling" or kicking and gliding. If the snow is at all deep he can't really remove one foot and push like in the area. Most b.c. skiing involves some flats on each run.

- The turn around time with a split board is pretty long - by the time you do the split, bindings, skins, smoke, etc. the skiers are half way up or down the run. Changing to Verts or snowshoes is faster, but the skiers will always get first tracks (of course, they should).

As I said earlier, some guides recognizing all this simply won't let snowboards on their tours.

All the people I have ever ridden with like the track that I set with my Split. I have no idea what you are talking about when you are saying Split riders can't set an up track. You been smoking too much crack.

Yes boards suck on the section with flats. All it take is some foresight to the upcoming terrain. Punch it before the flat with a enough speed you can crusie through it. If the flat section is that long, why bother riding there, there is plenty of beautiful riding around without flats. Even then I have been on the ocassional flat section and have been able to pole through. Here is an example

3794Dropping_in.jpg

The turn around time has never been an issue with me or anybody I have gone out with, even when I do stop to smoke sumthing. Maybe they are all being polite and not saying anything, but with folks I hang with I doubt it. The skiers are probably halfway down the run before a boarder is ready, that is funny shit. yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif skier always get first tracks, even funnier yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

You were kidding in your post right???? It was joke right??? Just trying to get a real boxing_smiley.gif going right???

The way I look at it, it is all good, randonee, tele, alpine, boarding, even that new shit what was it called ???? it was some sled thing. It is about having fun. Everything out there is going to have some type of disadvantage at some point, hell that is why we came up with so many ways to get down a snow covered mountain. Just do what looks appealing and you'll have a good time.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes boards suck on the section with flats. All it take is some foresight to the upcoming terrain. Punch it before the flat with a enough speed you can crusie through it. If the flat section is that long, why bother riding there, there is plenty of beautiful riding around without flats. Even then I have been on the ocassional flat section and have been able to pole through. Here is an example

3794Dropping_in.jpg

That's a flat section yellaf.gif I think you just proved the point about boards on a descent. yellaf.gif

As for the switch; I can deskin & locking with skis on. Takes a minute or two. Splitboarders are still trying to play match the

split then yellaf.gif

As for the switch; I can deskin & locking with skis on. Takes a minute or two. Splitboarders are still trying to play match the

split then yellaf.gif

battlecage on! rockband.gif

I can switch my split faster than most skiers can get into downhill mode boxing_smiley.gif

And skiers are always grateful to have a splitter bust trail up steep powder wallows boxing_smiley.gif

Some will argue that a snowboard is the best tool for riding pow pow (and it certainly can be elegent) and maybe for mank, but there are three significant problems in the b.c.

- Regardless of the uphill mode - snowshoe, split board, Verts - a boarder can not set a good uptrack that can be used by a skier - so they can't break trail for the others. In addition, walking in the skin track will destroy it for reuse if you want to yo yo a slope.

- On flats, traverses, slight uphills, etc. the boarder has a very hard time "poling" or kicking and gliding. If the snow is at all deep he can't really remove one foot and push like in the area. Most b.c. skiing involves some flats on each run.

- The turn around time with a split board is pretty long - by the time you do the split, bindings, skins, smoke, etc. the skiers are half way up or down the run. Changing to Verts or snowshoes is faster, but the skiers will always get first tracks (of course, they should).

As I said earlier, some guides recognizing all this simply won't let snowboards on their tours.

Hmmm... I question your first point. I have spent quite a bit of time breaking trail on my split for skier friends... never once heard one of them complain. I will indeed give you the second point, and add that if things are even remotely icy/slick, the splitboarder is likely to be struggling more. But I again question #3. Sure, it takes awhile to set the board together. But not that long!! (Skiers have to deal with the skins, too...) And any decent snowboarder will make up that time on the downhill ride!

3794Dropping_in.jpg

That's a flat section yellaf.gif I think you just proved the point about boards on a descent. yellaf.gif

split then yellaf.gif

What are you in such a hurry for rolleyes.gif

Gaper Jeffry, I would have you know that I am a tele turning hippy under this sharp businessman exterior, and I take a shower once a week whether I need it or not. Why must all hippys be "unhygienic"?! wazzup.gif

boxing_smiley.gif

I can switch my split faster than most skiers can get into downhill mode boxing_smiley.gif

then they suck hahaha.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Rando Skis-

Remove skins (skis remain on)

Lock Heels

Go.

Split-

Take off split skis

Remove Skins

Join Board

Step into bindings.

Hey, how does one remove skins with the skis still on? Also, I tried out your skis in the Baker backcountry on saturday, and the gear worked smoothly... thanks again!

Hey, how does one remove skins with the skis still on? Also, I tried out your skis in the Baker backcountry on saturday, and the gear worked smoothly... thanks again!

Excellent cool.gif

I could give a butchered description, but doing the reverse of these pictures works for me(except for the failing on your ass part):

http://www.couloirmag.com/gear/accessories/skins/put_on_w-skis_on/standing_skins.htm

It takes some practice, but's nice when the snow is deep.

Hammerheads:

- Step out of bindings

- Dig thru pack to find leatherman

- Spend 10 minutes trying to adjust 1 pivot point

- Get one done then slip with the tool and cut yourself

- Dig thru pack for bandaid

- Apply bandaid

- Spend another 10 minutes adjusting the other pivot point

- Repeat 2 more times for the other ski

- Curse at Gaper Jeffey for selling you Hammheads wink.gif

- Spend 10 minutes stepping into binding

- Attach leashes

- Notice you forget to take skins off

- Step out of binding

- Notice you forget to take leashes off

- Detach leashes

- Remove skins

- Spend 10 minutes stepping into biding and attaching leashes again

- Notice the pivot points on the right ski are a in a different position then the pivots on the other ski

- Step out of ski then repeat above steps

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

then they suck hahaha.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Rando Skis-

Remove skins (skis remain on)

Lock Heels

Go.

Split-

Take off split skis

Remove Skins

Join Board

Step into bindings.

Yeah and everybody I have ever gone up into the hills with is ready to take off as soon as they get to the top rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif. Shit most people dick around for a bit, put on extra layer, eat something, take a drink, catch their breath, take a hit, cool down, whatever. Shit it only takes a couple of minutes extra (at the most) to convert into ride mode. There is always plenty of time to do the above and convert without holding up anyone or myself. And as someone stated usually end up making up any time lost on the descent.

Hammerheads:

- Step out of bindings

- Dig thru pack to find leatherman

- Spend 10 minutes trying to adjust 1 pivot point

- Get one done then slip with the tool and cut yourself

- Dig thru pack for bandaid

- Apply bandaid

- Spend another 10 minutes adjusting the other pivot point

- Repeat 2 more times for the other ski

- Curse at Gaper Jeffey for selling you Hammheads wink.gif

- Spend 10 minutes stepping into binding

- Attach leashes

- Notice you forget to take skins off

- Step out of binding

- Notice you forget to take leashes off

- Detach leashes

- Remove skins

- Spend 10 minutes stepping into biding and attaching leashes again

- Notice the pivot points on the right ski are a in a different position then the pivots on the other ski

- Step out of ski then repeat above steps

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

dude this kills me yelrotflmao.gif

i love my hh, but i never change the pivot points (leave em on 4!) and i still have the old heels (which suck!) so don't have to worry bout riding down with 30 degree heel lift. still faster than most on the uphill, and my split friends enjoy the uptrack i lay down...gotta love fat skis!

I prefer AT, probably because my MCL was sprained on the teles. If you go tele, skip the backcountry for a season. Take some lessons and do it right. Its not about "if you can ski it" its about "can you ski it and live through it". I think tele is the more seasoned end of skiing. Like many sport climbers move to free climbing, we may all shift over as well.