• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
catbirdseat

Exploding Lava Lamp

You can talk about Darwin Awards all you want, but what I was thinking was this. Did this guy have even a rudimentary understanding of physics, and if he did, would it have made any difference? Does curiosity always trump common sense?

Saw that on the news last night. To fill in the blanks, guy figures he would put his lava lamp on the stove to see if the heat would make the goo move more??? Well hmmmmmm it exploded and killed him. wazzup.gif

wow that's sad.

goes to show you need to keep your molten lava out of reach of your kids.

i heard that on the news last night, too. i was wondering if he had put it on the stove because it wasn't working properly. what a freak accident.
I gotta believe that the guy didn't have any idea of the principle. Apparently the lamp in the base wasn't working or wasn't generating enough heat. As designed the lamp doesn't get anywhere near hot enough to boil water. But on a stove you have a closed vessel filled with superheated water. As soon as the glass breaks, the water flash vaporizes into steam and you have, essentially, a bomb.

yeah what a moron I bet he didn't even consult his MSDS sheets or determine the eutectic of the colloidal suspension in question. and heating a closed system! dear me.

any time you are in contact with red hot lava you have made a mistake somewhere along the line.

However, you would get the chance to scream out "the lava, it burns", a dream of countless sci-fi afficianados. There's always a bright side I suppose.

I think you are mistaking it with that one dr. who episode featuring the 4th doctor and the giant squid that turns out to be a part of the key to time (revealed by the sonic screwdriver)

Or that part in the Movie "Volcano" Where that utility worker guy sacrifices himself to save the other guy.

The Tommy Lee Jones movie? That was a classic. fruit.gif

or dante's peak where they try to drive across the lava flow in a land rover. Fortunately they had the snorkel attachment so the engine did not stall when the engine bay was flooded with molten lava.

Eiieeeeee, the acid! I couldn't watch. I heard that was not filmed on location, but was actually at the willamette river portland superfund site.

What about the lava that Gollum falls into carrying the Ring in Mount Doom Geek_em8.gif

Sucks.

I know tons of people who have done things quite a bit more foolish than this guy who have lived. Including myself...