I'm new. I have a question about our collective personality.

Cleophus

quote:

Originally posted by Chongo:

quote:

Originally posted by Heinouscling:

About the only chest beating I've seen on this site is when someone climbs a really fun, high quality route, and it also happens to be hard. That person wants to talk about the route because maybe its so fun, (s)he feels that others need to know about it so that others can experience the climb. Or maybe the climber is interested in some beta on the crux. -Heinous

About the only chest beating Ive seen on this site aside from 2% milk dud here, is ol' Anus Jing making up for small dick by telling us how he can ALMOST!!!! do 1-move wonder 11d.
[Roll Eyes][Wink]
How can you consider me discussing the crux on Ring Of Fire to be chest beating? I couldn't get through it man! That can hardly be considered chest beating. If I did get through it and then posted "Hey all you mofos, I did the crux on ROF!", I would call that chest beating. Theres a difference between telling someone what routes you climbed during the season and getting on this site and yelling out "Hey all you fuckers, I just ticked my first 12a!!!".

[Wazzup]

-Heinous

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are people who "chestbeat" on this site by sending out trip reports. Telling their "pals" about their latest adventure. Most people don't really give a shit, some do. Whatever. The more "chestbeater" trip reports posted the better, I say.

If it's something of interest (like a route I wanna do, like a route I did, like the current snow conditions, like if I ever wanna climb with that guy, like if it's a colorful story that eases my climbing jones, etc...) that's great. If not. I don't read it.

There are other people so caught up in worrying about being a chestbeater it makes me puke. People so worried that people will know that someone is better than them. These types will never post anything to expose the exact level of their climbing.

Fine. If you're that insecure and it prevents you from "chestbeating", that's your business. But when you get obnoxious because someone else steps up to show their warts, that's lame. Someone else can do it (I mean send out a report here). You cannot. You haven't the guts, so you decide to diss it. Worm.

I totally disagree with you chuck. I don't count Chestbeating as sending out trip reports. Maybe some do. I think of that as sharing info. Chestbeating to me is more on an "I'm better than you" approach. Or Look what I can do and you can't mentality. Not about climbing some route that has been done many times and sending out a trip report that contains the latest conditions on a given route. Maybe there are new routes established and reports written about them, but I, like you, think that is a good thing. I guess I think there are many types of Chestbeating, I just disagree with the type that belittles others. I am sure everyone is guilty of it without realizing it too. I know I have caught myself and been caught. I don't send out trip reports on routes that hundreds of people have done and I am definitely not out there trying to send new hard lines in the Cascades. I will contribute if someone asks questions about current route conditions and I was on it recently.

I think chest beating is subjective. When someone starts a thread on Monday morning asking everybody what they did during the weekend and I respond "I did Bloodshot". Is that chest beating? Some may say "yes" because there are some that may not be able to climb BloodShot. Others may be able to do laps on Bloodshot and they would not think it to be chest beating. I can tell you that I am certainly guilty of getting excited about a route that I ticked and telling people. Hey, its part of climbing. Take it as you will. Humans are, by their nature, competitive. That doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it. Sharma and Graham worked together to get Sharma up Realization.

[Wazzup]

-Heinous

quote:

Originally posted by ryland moore:

Chestbeating to me is more on an "I'm better than you" approach. Or Look what I can do and you can't mentality.

You mean like your 2600 word diatribe against the idiots who only climbed up the south side of hood then had the gall to make phone calls?

quote:

I guess I think there are many types of Chestbeating, I just disagree with the type that belittles others.

I think if you read the board a bit longer you will realize that "chestbeating" basically refers to presenting to others a climb that you did.

What you are referring to as chestbeating is just some strawman argument you brewed up inside your head without regard to reality and has nothing to do with the subject. Cleophus did not put anybody down. You put him down more like it.

I agree that belittling others is not very cool. But you will find yourself doing it again. It's not easy to post very much to this board without belittling someone.

[ 09-27-2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: chucK ]

Some people request so much information they might have to ask how to wipe their ass on a climb.

Others give so much information that is not asked for or is not deemed useful it ruins the experiences and often it obvious looks like they are bragging.

The most entertaining are the ones willfully handing out information on climbs they don't know anything about. For instance "I saw that pitch from the other belay and it looked totally doable" would be a simple example. Shit from behind this computer I can look at all the photos and think freeing the Nose of El Cap looks doable. 5.13 jugs in the finger cracks appear in the photos [Roll Eyes]

The chestbeater story that must be told continues...

quote:

Alpine K burning down a monster cherry. I began to protest but noticed that sitting around him were 6 cougars. Man, that guy sure gets the pussy I thought to myself as i backed out the door...

...and I made a mental note to post a complaint on cc.com if I survived this epic. Knowing that a bivy was only answer at this point, I crawled toward the door of the outhouse...

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Scrambling can be way fun. This past weekend some friends and found one of my favorite scrambles I have ever done.

3 eggs, a touch of hashish, a pinch of garlic, and some fresh HC?

EDIT: Fixed quote dealies

[ 09-27-2002, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Cletus ]