I'm new. I have a question about our collective personality.

Cleophus

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a terrible way to measure your progress. You could be climbing better than the guys in your circle, feeling like the Big Man on Campus, and then wake up one day to realize you're just a big turd in a little bowl, that your circle of buddies aren't climbing that hard in the first place. If you climb much at Vantage or Exit 38, this is likely the case. Furthermore, how are you going to know when you're in the top 2%? And if you ever get there, should you be satisfied? How do you know you're giving it your best?

The beautiful thing about climbing is that the mountains are always there to meet you at the challenge level you desire. There's always a route harder than you can do, and there's alway a route perfect for your current fitness level and ambition. You pick up a guide book, evaluate your abilities, find a buddy and go. It seems really shallow to worry about what the next guy is doing when there is so much space and wilderness out there in which to PUSH YOURSELF and fight gravity, heavy weather, bee stings, etc.

Most of the guys I meet who desire to make the "top 2%" seem to have this need to tell you about it. I've got news for you: they are really dull. Nobody cares about your accomplishments. If they did, they'd ask you about them. Just do it....you wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what other people think of you if you only knew how seldom they do.

For once, DFA agrees with Pope. It's true that there will always be someone as good or better than you. Sure, you might be going for it at a higher level than 98% of the community, but you're just going to be part of another, smaller 98% at the next level. It never stops.

The Doctor remembers feeling like he was really climbing hard and was kind of special and unique when he climbed his first .13a. Finally, after so many years! Then he woke the fuck up and realized that tons of people climb that hard, and there are many more who climb much harder. It's good to figure things like this out, as they keep you humble and honest.

Have fun climbing something, and try hard.

[rockband]

There will always be better climbers than you and in other aspects of life as well. So what Cleophus? Does that make you less of a person? I climb .11 sporto routes and still stuggle up 5.9 cracks and have been climbing since I was 16. Do I get down on myself because some 12 year old can climb harder than me and has only been at it for a few months? Never. It is about being out there and doing what you like. As time passes, just like with your diving, you accrue knowledge and learn from every experience. I think this site and all the folks here are not about becoming the top 2% - whatever the hell that means. We are all climbers from different backgrounds, with different styles, with different motivations coming together to talk shit, throw some beta about routes, and share our experiences. There is encouragement, discussion, and trask-talking [Wink] all the time. Either deal with it and contribute or leave. We could care less. This is not some heavy, members only, elite site who chestbeat constantly about what they've done. I have actually been pleasantly surprised to learn that many of the climber's on this site are really amazing, excellent climbers, far better than I am. But you will never know it from their posts, cause they ain't out there promoting how good they are. You only find out through talking to others or seeing them climb, or hear about them sending some new route. Chestbeating is fine, but you won't see quotes like Without seeming to be boastful I am a damn good diver on this website without some joking conotation attached to it. My two cents.

Oh yeah, well I'm a 2%er in the muff diving world. Ask trask's new girlfriend [Mad][laf]

I am what you'd call a technical muff diver. I insert myself into some of the most trecherous muffs around. I even do deep muff diving and rescue muff diving. I once tried cave muff diving, but it was a little too dark for me. Anyway, I am a pretty hard-core muff diver and challenge anyone to prove me wrong. Ladies?

About the only chest beating I've seen on this site is when someone climbs a really fun, high quality route, and it also happens to be hard. That person wants to talk about the route because maybe its so fun, (s)he feels that others need to know about it so that others can experience the climb. Or maybe the climber is interested in some beta on the crux. Most climbers are careful about chest beating on this site, or should be, because you never know who you might run into on the crags outside. You're gonna look really silly if you've been thumping your chest on this site for the last month and you can't get up that 5.10 outside. Also, I agree with others in that unless you just ticked Realization, chances are, no matter what you just climbed, you're probably still just another stinking turd in the punch bowl and frankly, aside from maybe your spouse or significant other, nobody really gives a FUCK what you just climbed and isn't really interested in hearing the details, unless that person also is working the route. I say enjoy climbing for what it is and appreciate the climbing experience while you can because soon enough, we're all gonna be a rotting, maggot infested corpse and then, for certain, nobody will give a flying fuck about the routes you climbed during your life. So thats all I have to say to all you fucks on this site so just fuck off and enjoy your weekend everybody.

[Wazzup]

-Heinous

Okay. I guess I haven't been clear enough.

My motivation is NOT to be in the "top 2%"

My question is do you find that by enjoying personal challenge you end up going farther in your endeavors than 9 out of 10?

I don't do things to be better than anyone else. I do them to be better than I was yesterday OR because I enjoy them. I find that when I enjoy them, I really latch on to it and get involved.

I already stated that I don't plan to be in the top 2% of climbers. Just go farther than 9 out of 10 (again these are numbers that illustrate a point) outdoor enthusiasts. I don't know if I can explain it any better. It always seemed to me that the climbers I knew were people that enjoyed self challenge. All I am asking is "Do you find that enjoyment of self challenge in other parts of your life?". Forget it. Jesus. I also don't think that saying "I'm a damn good diver is chest beating". It wasn't meant to impress, I know lots of them. I already said I know there are many more out there that are better than I. I don't see the problem in recognizing your own aptitude at something. You know it's ok to say you are good at something if you are. I wouldn't have even brought it up if it wasn't in an effort to aid in defining my question which clearly needed more definition. I don't mind the trash talk, but seriously, I wasn't trying to "beat my chest". I was just talking about it. I suppose this sport lends itsef to more annoying chest beaters than most and that's probably why I got smacked. I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent. From now on, it's pure trash talk and questions from me for awhile.

quote:

Originally posted by Heinouscling:

About the only chest beating I've seen on this site is when someone climbs a really fun, high quality route, and it also happens to be hard. That person wants to talk about the route because maybe its so fun, (s)he feels that others need to know about it so that others can experience the climb. Or maybe the climber is interested in some beta on the crux. -Heinous

About the only chest beating Ive seen on this site aside from 2% milk dud here, is ol' Anus Jing making up for small dick by telling us how he can ALMOST!!!! do 1-move wonder 11d. [Roll Eyes][Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Cleophus:

Okay. I guess I haven't been clear enough.

My motivation is NOT to be in the "top 2%"

My question is do you find that by enjoying personal challenge you end up going farther in your endeavors than 9 out of 10?

I don't do things to be better than anyone else. I do them to be better than I was yesterday OR because I enjoy them. I find that when I enjoy them, I really latch on to it and get involved.

I already stated that I don't plan to be in the top 2% of climbers. Just go farther than 9 out of 10 (again these are numbers that illustrate a point) outdoor enthusiasts. I don't know if I can explain it any better. It always seemed to me that the climbers I knew were people that enjoyed self challenge. All I am asking is "Do you find that enjoyment of self challenge in other parts of your life?". Forget it. Jesus. I also don't think that saying "I'm a damn good diver is chest beating". It wasn't meant to impress, I know lots of them. I already said I know there are many more out there that are better than I. I don't see the problem in recognizing your own aptitude at something. You know it's ok to say you are good at something if you are. I wouldn't have even brought it up if it wasn't in an effort to aid in defining my question which clearly needed more definition. I don't mind the trash talk, but seriously, I wasn't trying to "beat my chest". I was just talking about it. I suppose this sport lends itsef to more annoying chest beaters than most and that's probably why I got smacked. I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent. From now on, it's pure trash talk and questions from me for awhile.

If you dont care to be in the 2% milk then why the hell bother to include the backpackers. I gotta say some of those backpackers you say you are better than could hike you into the ground so exactly what makes you better than them? [sleep]