I'm new. I have a question about our collective personality.

Cleophus

I'm just getting into mountaineering, and I have a question about drive. Are most of you out there what I would call "2 percenters"? By "2 percenter" I mean someone who, when they decide to do something, do it better or further than 98 percent of the others doing it? My closest activity to mountaineering, would be SCUBA diving. In fact they are very similar(although we strive in opposite directions!). Without meaning to seem boastful, I am a damn good diver. I am what we call a technical diver, i.e. deep diving, wreck penetration, rescue, mixed gas, etc. My point is that I took diving farther than almost every other diver out there. Now, I guess I look at mountaineering as "Ultimate Backpacking". Maybe I am wrong, but that is kind of how I see it. I loved backpacking, but it was never enough. When I walked under those peaks, I just had to learn to climb them. My question is (after much rambling)... Do you find yourself motivated to be better at the things you do than almost everyone around you? It may not be just to be better than they are, maybe we are just motivated that much more in general. I apologize for the overly metaphysical introduction. Oh, and uh... Hi!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a suggestion, climb because it is fun [Razz] any other reason is the wrong reason and IMHO you start to put yourself and your climbing partners in danger if you are more concerned with reaching your goal than you are with safety and fun.

Is it more wrong to do the wrong thing for the right reason? or the right thing for the wrong reason??? just something to ponder [Wink]

Actually, I'm going to start my own style. I call it "Ninja Climbing". I will wear all black, climb only at night using no lights, football cleats and a clawhammer, and I will kill other climbers while they sleep in their tents. I expect it will start a craze.

[ 09-26-2002, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Cleophus ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cleophus:

Actually, I'm going to start my own style. I call it "Ninja Climbing". I will wear all black, climb only at night using no lights, football cleats and a clawhammer, and I will kill other climbers while they sleep in their tents. I expect it will start a craze.

In my experience you have to start climbing at the back of the line and work up to the front. There are young and bold climbers, but no old and bold climbers, unless your last name is Becky. How was Glacier Pk? In my experience climbing is not a place that you can fake anything, you have to go through all the learning to get to 2%. Good luck. TTT [big Grin]

quote:

at night...with foot spikes...with "clawhammer" that is caled mountaineering... the rest is just your fetal alchoholism gettin teh better of ya! [Wink]

dude you really have to realize that climbers as a rule of thumb are shit talkers (spraters if youwill) if you cant handle that...this IS NOT teh website for you...we are good people and some are great climbers...but we are all arrogant ass holes... i think you are too deep down...c'mon let it out...ya knwo ya wanna... [big Grin][big Drink]

TTT said

Me no get it???!!??

Hell yeah crew is a term we use amongst friends and brothers for dudes who when asked if they want to do some wild ass shit for any or all reasons respond with "hell yeah!". For inclusion in this club, you must also be able to water ski with a beer (with or without cozy) and notr spill a drop while drinking it. Yes, it can be done.