Hyalite Ice (or lack off)

512dude

Its warm here again today but weather man says mercury is dropping thru the weekend. Climbed a few routes in Hyalite but they are thin to moderate in formation. I'd give it a few more weeks before driving the 12 hours from Seattle at this point. You'd get a hell of va lot more bang for buck. We are heading out again this weekend and I'll post on Montanaice.com what we find in terms of conditions. But I would recommend planning for Dec or Jan if you want a good trip.

Beware of the posts claiming totally in routes. They may be climbable but 500 lbs. of formed ice on a route that usually is 5000 lbs. of ice does not constitue "totally".

Dude

Cheerio

Edited by 512dude

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent Nov 20-22 in Hyalite climbing a variety of well-formed routes: Champagne Sherbert & Slot were both in good shape, as did High Crimes appear to be. Bobo Like was very climbable and Killer Pillar has already touched down. Twin Falls was certainly extra-large...

Most of the routes may not truly be "in," but they are certainly climbable, with decent protection for the most part. Most of the routes higher up in the Genesis area are looking good- GII, Upper Greensleeves, Hangover. Last I saw, Responsible Family Men was looking huge. Also, the ice should really start to fill in nicely after this weekend's colder temps roll through.

• 2 weeks later...