Alone on Thanksgiving?

catbirdseat

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Tikrit, Iraq with far too many people around for Thanksgiving. No beer, no liquor, I'm starting to get fat, it's fucking cold, and the ham came out of a can. My misery factor is definitely going up, did I mention that I got shot at. I may do myself in before the enemy does, I suck.

I never seem to have anything nice to say. I eat because I'm unhappy and I'm unhappy because I can't climb. What do I have left in this world? Pain to savor, flesh to abuse, and my meat to beat. Did I mention that I'm freezing my balls off over here? Yeah, that's right freezing my balls off in Iraq.

joel... hang in there man. My bro is at Balad AFB. I have not heard from him for a week. Not only does he have to spend all the "major" holidays there, he has to spend his Birthday... Drag. My heart goes out to all of you! What's your addy so we can send you a care package ??? (if you want one, that is...)

Joel,

Don't sweat it too much. This time last year I was in Kuwait waiting to leave for Samarra, where we spent Christmas. As for the cold, be thankful you are not further north in say, Mosul, where it gets really cold. I just came back at the end of October and have found that the climbs have not gone anywhere. They'll still be here when you get back. Sounds like you may want to see the chaplain regarding your self-flagellation.

Ken

Joel

Hang tough. One day at a time. No more.

Make youself think about better things.

Easy to say from where I sit but it IS a choice you are forced to make.

Climb of your choice upon your return.

I'll carry the rope and rack while you work off that gut.

And it will get worked off.

Yeah, thanks it's true that the climbs will still be there. Inspectorgadget, i went to samarra for a huge operation, we cordoned off the entire city and left it still smoking, it sucked so bad.

Dru, there isn't any ice in this town in fact there isn't much of anything except for good chicken that may make you crap your pants. I've been caught buildering on the many palace walls over here more than once (while wielding my spear, magic vest, and helmet). So i'm on a short leash as far as that goes.

Icegirl, if you'd like my address is

SPC Joel Stidham

HHC TF 1-18, 2 BCT, 1 ID(FWD)

FOB DANGER

APO AE 09392

Thanks for the support and hopefully I'll be able to hit the WA in Feb, Mar after I get back to Europe. You know, after life stops sucking. Hopefully month 11 will be better than month 10 was.

I joined the army when I was 18, went to Iraq while i was still 20 and 10 days ago I turned 21. I got to come home in September for a couple of weeks and had to escape to Canada to get a drink.

All in all life is amusing, I laugh because it all just sounds funny. In reality none of it is funny, well it's a little funny.