Wild Things

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet only $56 for the thinnest piece of nylon known to man. I've been disappointed with wild things. I've been using an andinista for about 5 years and it just keeps falling apart. I'd send it back but they were less than accomodating to my friend when he sent back an ice sack this year. They are not the company they used to be "back in the day".

I have to insert the obligatory andinista=turgid sausage comment as well.

They are pretty light though, just disappointed with the product's stitching and zippers. In other words, the product.

My 2 cents:

I personally haven't seen a quality drop (a few of my friends have been abusing the newer version of the andinista) but the weight increase makes me wonder... What's the point if it weighs as much as a frame pack? All my WT backpacks are pre 2000 and I haven't had a glaring quality problem outside of shoulder strap buckles not staying tight... who knows? And if anyone has the old andinista made out of paclight (the 1.5 lb version) and wants to sell let me know!

FYI for anyone interested in a Andinista in small: Mountain Shop in PDX has one 2000ish model for half price in stock. Grab it!

I picked up a cold cold world Valdez last year and have been super stoked on it. Weight is close to the WT Freney but you get much more cubics... I heard Randy raised his prices significantly for next year so all of you looking at one might want to grab one at the old price... I know when my turgid sausages wear out I'll by replacing with cold^2.

The wind shirt is super light weight… maybe too light for rock abuse but under a light fleece and over your base layer and it rocks. I tend to run in mine mostly.

The half bag is the deal to grab (I think): I have spent some nights in it that were well below the 30 degree rating and didn’t have a huge problem… only a few sessions of crunches/windmills. It’s cut large enough that you can easily wear your boots inside, the other fabric is Epic so you can leave the bivy sack at home. What I have been doing lately is have my partner bring a full size super light sleeping bag and then I wear his belay jacket in addition to mine. Seems to work until I get a double from nunatak.

I agree about the cold cold world packs. Those seem to be really nice and simple

I've no problem spending the money on the Andinista, as long as I can expect the company to treat me right when I have a problem. Or ideally, not have a problem at all. They charged my friend a lot for a new ice sack when the liner of his old one peeled off. The main problem has been the zippers. I have perhaps misused it a bit hauling some really heavy things though.

• 2 months later...

I have a 97 Andinista. The 54oz one.

It has held up pretty well. The biggest issue I had was the shoulder strap adjustment buckles. The upsidedown buckles. You have to pull up to tighten the shoulder strap. They loosen constantly throughout the day.

I called WS and told them about the problem. They said to ship it to them. I got it back in a couple weeks, no charge.

My only issue I ever had with W.T's

Jedi