carolyn

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Serious question smirk.gif

Do you ever avoid climbing with women who climb at the same level or above you?

I would really be interested in hearing some honest answers. I dont believe all men always feel threatened by female climbers. My experiences have shown guys to be very supportive, encouraging, and accepting for the msot part. But there HAS to be an occassion here or there where it does pop up. Or not? What do you do about it?

Honestly, I find that once they get that good they just don't want to climb with a broken down old man like moi. I would welcome some young ropegunness dragging me up stuff I used to be able to cruiz. Like a permanent toprope only with a better view. Schweet.

Anyone...........? Anyone...............?

See? No takers.

Told you.

it's nice to see all the positive answers but it sort of bugs me that the question even needs to be asked. i can't imagine one of the guys posting the same the same thing.

things have changed but maybe not so much.

somehow i don't envision rumr, snoboy, griz, specialed, or rumr asking the following question

"girls, do you ever feel 'threatened' by the males you climb with? And I dont mean coming after you with an ice ax, swinging a set of cams at your head, or pushing you down a snowslope."

Oh totally, I wish women would just let us have this, man, I mean, here we go out to be strong males on the rock, and then some chick has to come along ruin my day, WTF, man, WTF! Did I go and try to give birth or something? You women are so inconsiderate, doing everything better than us! Sh*t, they're even better at getting laid! cry.gif

Guys, do you ever feel 'threatened' by the females you climb with? And I dont mean coming after you with an ice ax, swinging a set of cams at your head, or pushing you down a snowslope. tongue.gif

I would really be interested in hearing some honest answers. I dont believe all men always feel threatened by female climbers. My experiences have shown guys to be very supportive, encouraging, and accepting for the msot part. But there HAS to be an occassion here or there where it does pop up. Or not? What do you do about it?

I had a female climbing partner for a couple of years, and she was always climbing at least a number grade harder on sport and a couple of number grades higher on trad, and was, all in all the toughest person I've climbed with. She fell of of her bike and had a puking fit in the Leadville 100 (mile) mountain bike race, got pissed off, and finished 2nd out of all the women - including pros. She would also do two routes on the Diamond in a single push, etc. When climbing with her - more than anything, I felt inspired by what she was able to do.

In general when a woman is competent and has attributes that aren't all that common - knows how to work on a car, etc - that's attractive, not a threat.

When I see climbers that I feel like I should be outperforming (whether male or female) - a dude that's sporting 50lbs of extra weight, someone who hasn't been climbing very long, just starting to lead trad, etc - and they succeed at something that I elected not to climb for some reason or another - that definitely makes me reappraise my thinking and brings on the "If he/she can do it..." type thinking.

On a related topic - I have witnessed a couple of relationships where women ditched dudes that they were outclimbing, outskiing, or whatever and swapped them out for men who were able to ski/climb/etc harder than they could.

That made me wonder if some women, despite protests to the contrary, are more comfortable being with a man that's a bit "manlier" than they are. In this day and age, that would certainly be a cause for internal shame and self-flagellation worth of the priest in the Scarlet Letter - being more comfortable in a relationship where the traditionaly gender roles are intact. This could very well be the only love that dare not speak its name these days...

Honestly, I find that once they get that good they just don't want to climb with a broken down old man like moi. I would welcome some young ropegunness dragging me up stuff I used to be able to cruiz. Like a permanent toprope only with a better view. Schweet.

Anyone...........? Anyone...............?

See? No takers.

Told you.

OH PLEASE you climb way hard!!

over the past few years i have tought several people men and women to climb. with out doubt most of the men who "took" to the sport are so much better than me now, that i am suprised if they do climb with me. I am never going to be one of those thretening girl climbers. so i don't think about it much. i have found that most good climbers don't want to climb with me because i struggle to much and i suck too bad and I slow everyone down. so if the cute boys arn't climbing with the chicks who CRANK and they arn't climbing with me... who are they climbing with??

My wife climbs MUCH better than I do. She's always egging me on and forcing me to push my own limits.

And if I freak out on a climb and suck... I get to hear about it all the way home.

So I guess the answer is: I'm not threatened by female climbers at all. They can be pretty inspirational.

Or pretty. And inspirational.