All Ego's aside...

carolyn

Serious question smirk.gif

Guys, do you ever feel 'threatened' by the females you climb with? And I dont mean coming after you with an ice ax, swinging a set of cams at your head, or pushing you down a snowslope. tongue.gif

Do you ever avoid climbing with women who climb at the same level or above you?

I would really be interested in hearing some honest answers. I dont believe all men always feel threatened by female climbers. My experiences have shown guys to be very supportive, encouraging, and accepting for the msot part. But there HAS to be an occassion here or there where it does pop up. Or not? What do you do about it?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes speaking of "gooo-ooots" mountain goat herds are matriarchal. The oldest Nanny is the boss. Billygoats that act too horny are butted into line. blush.gif

As for the other question I like it when girls climb hard because it means they can rope gun me laugh.gif

Perhaps it is different when you are two climbers dating as I have seen at least two relationships where "Boy Climber" and "Girl Climber" were both climbing at more or less the same level and as soon as Girl Climbers 1 and 2 started to climb harder than Boy Climbers 1 and 2, they broke up and found respectively Boy Climbers 3 and 4 who were climbing 2-3 number grades harder than the ex boyfriends. smileysex5.gif Discuss.

i've been fortunate enough to climb with a female partner who was competent leading .12, both sport and trad. IMO women have a better sense of balance, better strength to weight ratio and smaller/slender digits. face it guys, as far as technical rock climb'n goes, nobody's repeated Lynn Hill's 24hr free ascent of the nose. women, when giv'n the proper training,make better climbers. flame on the_finger.gif

Blake,

Youre not implying my pronunciation of the word "goat" is inncorrect now are you? Its just different than yours! But...(I know you like when I add all those............have you ever heard me say it?

dru-

that was a tad confusing. Maybe I should have a beer and then try reading it again! haha!

Stillcrankin-

what six words?!?!?! JUST kidding.

Asking the questions doesnt necessarily mean it is relevant or pertains to me. Just something I was curious about.

Yes, I have read those six words (courtesy of captain caveman). I silently use them everytime I climb. Works wonders for me.

I searched for a woman who could climb at my level or harder for decades. Never found her. Came close once. But she was married so that doesn't answer your question. Or does it? I really enjoyed climbing with her because there was no competition thing going. It was pure inner mind and comradery. I get that with a lot of male climbers too but most are innitially kind of rating oriented. And in a macho way. Not just to figure out what to climb. But to find a woman who loved to climb and is better than me seems like a good thing. Bring her on!

I've noticed that the capacity to be threatened by others doesn't respect gender or other boundries. I've encountered men and women in various areas of life (ranging from professional to romantic) that need so desperately to always be right (or in control) that they'll do anything to maintain a percieved status or position of power.

What do I do when I encounter such a person? Run. They may have some useful knowledge (or whatever), but its never worth the price.

Serious question smirk.gif

Guys, do you ever feel 'threatened' by the females you climb with? And I dont mean coming after you with an ice ax, swinging a set of cams at your head, or pushing you down a snowslope. tongue.gif

Do you ever avoid climbing with women who climb at the same level or above you?

I would really be interested in hearing some honest answers. I dont believe all men always feel threatened by female climbers. My experiences have shown guys to be very supportive, encouraging, and accepting for the msot part. But there HAS to be an occassion here or there where it does pop up. Or not? What do you do about it?

hell no!! Chicks that crank are HOT!!!! thumbs_up.gif

i've been fortunate enough to climb with a female partner who was competent leading .12, both sport and trad. IMO women have a better sense of balance, better strength to weight ratio and smaller/slender digits. face it guys, as far as technical rock climb'n goes, nobody's repeated Lynn Hill's 24hr free ascent of the nose. women, when giv'n the proper training,make better climbers. flame on the_finger.gif

I'm with Rumr on this one, a climber is a climber, it someone is stronger than you it pushes you to be stronger, whether it is a girl or a guy. One of my friends climbs 2 V grades harder, she is just STRONG and it pushes me just like my guy friends who climb way harder than me.

Headspace, I think it is hard to compare males and females in relation to one climb. Look at ALL the hard climbs in the world, and look at how many have only seen male ascents. I'm not saying men are better, I'm just pointing out that I think your argument should be based off more than one climb.

Look at all the technical climbs at smith, then look at how many of the 5.13+ and 5.14 climbs have seen female ascents, just an example

I remember one time I was leading a climb and not doing a great job of it. A couple gals came along and set up a TR on the rte after we finished and both smoothed the climb. When they left, I went back to climb and lead it again much better this time cuz not too far back in my brain i was thinking "if a girl can do it then so can i." I can also say if some 120lb gal outpaced me on a mtn with a burly pack on then I'd tip my hat to her but also be thinking to myself "Dude, you suck."

Sorry, guess I'm an old fashioned pig.

Some guys get pissy when anyone climbs better than them. I once had a partner throw a tantrum at smith at the start of a 4 month road trip. He was having a hard time, and I offered to make his first clip for him, then proceeded to do it in sandals! (it wasn't hard, he was just a wussy. We parted ways shortly thereafter)

I don't think this is a sexist issue, some people are just assholes. So, no, I am not threatened by people who climb harder than me. I enjoy it, it inspires me to climb harder myself.