NG show on Mallory-Irvine Expedition

ChocChick

Did anyone watch the show on National Geographic channel about the Simonson expedition to Everest to try and locate the bodies of Mallory and Irvine? We all know that they found Mallory and not Irvine. But the show was weird. Conrad Anker was an integral part of that expedition (he was the one to discover the body) but he was noticeably absent from the show. And, I read Conrad's book about the expedition, and he made it seem that they all agreed that the evidence was pretty strong that Mallory and Irvine DID NOT make it to the summit, yet the show stated otherwise. They were saying that they probably DID make it to the summit because the photo of Mallory's wife and the summit flag were not found on his body.

Interesting. . . .

Anyone see it or have an opinion???

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see the show, but Eric Simonson, who was also an integral part of that expedition (he organized and led it) came to Yakima at CWMR's request and did a fundraising show for us. We replaced our truck with a lot of the proceeds from that show.

Have you read his book of that expedition, "Ghosts of Everest" ? Both in his presentation and in his book, he made it sound like Mallory and Irvine likely did not make it there first.

I have not read Eric's book yet. I know he was an intgral part of the expedition, and I know he lead it. He also lead another expedition two years later to try and locate Irvine. The team ended up doing some rescues. Pretty amazing all and all.

Interesting how the books say not likely, but the show seemed to say likely. Good show though! I will have to read Ghosts of Everest.

Eric Simonson is an amazing man. cool.gif