The Coming Revolution in Approaches

jordop

http://www.millenniumjet.com/

Ignore the fact that we've been dreaming of jetpacks for the last fifty odd years, there is tantilizing suggestion about right now that it is likely to happen in the next decade

No it won't be affordable at first. But it will. And the notion of approaches will change forever -- for all the rich alpinists everywhere.

Imagine: no more slogs into the Pickets, etc etc.

I'm serious. This will rock! Way better thean the approach spider Spliffy's been working on. Or my bivy car idea, which is pretty much stalled in funding . . .

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan, what is this "bivy car" of which you speak...I am intrigued? Can The General be of assistance?

Now keep in mind that these are preliminary schematics, but I think you'll agree that the design is breathtaking!

Like all strokes of genius, this came to me in a gin soaked dream one night:

1736bivycar.jpg

A friend of mine was once rescued with one of those helium balloon air grabs where a plane grabs the rope with a fork on the way by. He used to say that it was the most exciteing thing he ever did. If you parachute in you could always get out with a balloon. No reason to introduce a boring walk or anything. laugh.gif

Absent a half-decent landing area, simply "parachuting in" is about as safe as just dropping in freefall and hoping against hope for a soft landing.

A thrutching, crashing landing into trees or monster talus is all but certain to induce serious injuries - and the twitcher the landing area, the more it pays to walk it beforehand to get the lay of the land. Clearly not very helpful in terms of random backcountry approach plans.

There's not many things less fun than pounding into a grove of big trees under canopy and ending up stuck 80 feet off the ground, dangling by a bit of nylon and some cracking twigs. Take it from someone with too much firsthand experience doing just that.

Peace,

D-d0g