If the not the US then where?

ChrisT

Lately I've been daydreaming about living in the Netherlands. They're progressive policies and rampant cycle riding really appeal to me. They've embraced assisted suicide, alternative energy, legalized pot and prostitution, etc etc. But my friend tells me it's very densely populated and the scenery is unexciting - read: FLAT. You'd hate it she says.

So *are* there any countries that represent a utopia on earth? Or should I just thank my lucky stars that I live in the beautiful state of Washington and Dino Rossi is only leading by 19 votes...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Netherlands might be flat, but I hear the Alps arent. Europe is small, yeah you wont be doing "weekends to Leavenworth", but week long trips to Cham make up for it.

I've been considering a move to the Czech Republic, France, or Switerland. My own country is too damn expensive compared to Czech, and I think the job prospects in CS are about the same.

hmm. Since when does Alpine Granite suck? yelrotflmao.gif

The drawback to NZ is the only place to make a reasonable wage/comparable standard of living is in Auckland, which most Kiwi's will tell you isn't living in NZ. Australia would be a better choice - live by the beach, rock climbing, great weather, and NZ's a couple hour flight away.

Check into the Van Gogh murder and the subsequent response by the state and the citizenry.

Any place with a small population, that's essentially homogeneous in racial composition, ancestry, and language can boast some pretty impressive stats. I think that Minnesota, if it were a country, would rank right up there with Scandanavia in all of the relevant stats.

Once they have to contend with the problems that they have been insulated from for most of their recent history, things change in a hurry. Again - check the Van Gogh situation for portents of things to come.

Check into the Van Gogh murder and the subsequent response by the state and the citizenry.

Any place with a small population, that's essentially homogeneous in racial composition, ancestry, and language can boast some pretty impressive stats. I think that Minnesota, if it were a country, would rank right up there with Scandanavia in all of the relevant stats.

Once they have to contend with the problems that they have been insulated from for most of their recent history, things change in a hurry. Again - check the Van Gogh situation for portents of things to come.

I've heard that Germany is a great place to live.... for Germans.

Chile would definitely be tops in SA. They seem to have gotten away from the "Let's have a revolution and impoverish ourselves to spite the gringo." ethos that has permeated the rest of the continent for the last 90 years or so.

Carlo's Rangel's "The Latin Americans" is a great primer on the above topic.

Kiwistan (NZ) is great if you like sheep. The rock climbing is good, alpine is great, bouldering is world class but - face facts - the population of both islands is only 3 million (and 30 million sheep), less than a good sized city. It's a cultural BACKWATER.

Netherlands - never live in a country below sea level when the climate is warming!

The best country in the world is CANADA. It will only stay that way if the Americans stay in America. You know how Washingtonians feel when Californians move to Washington and then whine about how it isn't Cali. Well triple that. Stay home.

Kiwistan (NZ) is great if you like sheep. The rock climbing is good, alpine is great, bouldering is world class but - face facts - the population of both islands is only 3 million (and 30 million sheep), less than a good sized city. It's a cultural BACKWATER.

Says the man from the wilds of British Columbia where the population density is lower the NZ by a factor of 3 grin.gif

Says the man from the wilds of British Columbia where the population density is lower the NZ by a factor of 3 grin.gif

Yeah, that Vancouver, real cultural backwater rolleyes.gif

There's a reason every Kiwi has an OE - they spend lots of their life hearing about everywhere else, and both NZ and Australia are a long ways from anywhere. Get used to 744's!

Europe would be nice - Switzerland, Nordic Countries, bits of E Europe - high standards of living, excellent recreation.

If you were going for Australia, another fine choice, you should seriously look at Melbourne. Yah got yer rainy weather, just like the PNW, and yer Grampians and yer Arapiles. Granted, the skiing sucks ass and the mountaineering is non-existent... Still, Melbourne is probably the most European of cities you'll find down that way.

Australia - great rock climbing, no mtns worth the name, no snow, severely impacted environment. Or are rabbit plagues, cane toad plagues, extinction of many native species, continent-spanning fences, severe drought, overgrazing and pesticide-laden sediment plumes stretching 400km out to sea every time it rains considered acceptable?

Astronomical taxes.

Yawn. Highest standard of living in the world. Those taxes end up paying for things that I pay up the yingyang here for - like college, student loans, etc. The Norwegians I've met have reasonable equivalent salaries, and equivalent disposable income - which in the end is all that matters to me. Seperate argument entirely fruit.gif

Melbourne's supposed to very nice - decent MTB'ing as well. Most Aussie's head to NZ for skiing (or the states)