Tom Cruise to Climb Everest

thelawgoddess

Thanks for the feedback.

Those kinds of blanket statements, insults and stereotypes are extremely constructive.

I was referring to Portland print journalism. I don't do TV news - but then the falling ratings on national newscasts suggest I'm not alone.

For PDX papers: The Oregonian has missed the boat far too often too depend on them(Goldschmidt, Packwood, the cruddy sensationalism of the Woo revelation); Willamette Week has too little "real" news - but occaisonal gems like the Goldschmidt story; the Portland Tribune forgets little things like the "not" in front of a guilty plea when reporting. As John said - they aren't bad small town papers, tidbits of local news with lots of wire service stories; they aren't "real" papers to me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey-- on the other hand, the poor, hardworking folks might deserve a little break. Yes, they're mostly pathological jerks, but then not quite as bad as politicians, real estate & car salesmen--I mean salespeople (not salespersons). I used to do that stuff mu-self for far worse publications...Like the (long defunct) Lacey Leader of Washington...(apologies for getting way off the thread)

---

As to the subject of this thread, I could give a rip if Tom Cruise climbs Everest or Little Si. If it's for the spirit of adventure, knock yourself out, Tom.

As to the thread drift, I think Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry" is a fairly accurate description of the values of T.V. news. There are some good earnest reporters out there, but unfortunately good earnest news stories don't sell advertising as well as salacious tidbits. We know who runs the stations.

Thanks for the feedback.

Those kinds of blanket statements, insults and stereotypes are extremely constructive.

If it bleeds, it leads.

The only time I hear about climbing on the local news is during a rescue or body recovery. Or a 'famous' person is hiking up a hill.

Avalanches make headlines. A friend was attacked by the news cam crews after being involved in one. They ignored him as a person, and went after the 'news'.

Yes, they're mostly pathological jerks, but then not quite as bad as politicians, real estate & car salesmen--I mean salespeople (not salespersons).

Screw it.

I'm going to step away from this pissing match. If you want to stereotype us like that, fine. You're part of the very problem you claim to disdain. confused.gif

I'm glad not all climbers are the same. bigdrink.gif

Sorry for getting off topic.

Tom Cruise still sucks.

Out.

Edited by barkernews

Yes, they're mostly pathological jerks, but then not quite as bad as politicians, real estate & car salesmen--I mean salespeople (not salespersons).

Fuck it.

I'm going to step away from this pissing match. If you want to stereotype us like that, fine. You're part of the very problem you claim to disdain. confused.gif

Us who?

at least he can affoard the 30,000$ fee

And all the other fees for his companions.

He can pay for an entire group and not put a dent in his wallet....or he could use the money to buy enough vaccines for a small country in Africa to save some lifes....ahhh. Life choices.

sorry but this just pisses me off. how do you know what he does in terms of charitable giving? should he not have the oppportunity to enjoy some of his wealth by spending it on himself? would you begrudge some avg middle class guy a trip to everest if (s)he worked hard and saved the money for it? should that person give that hard earned savings to a vaccination program in africa? hellno3d.gif

Read the post. It's called "Life Choices" He probably has given several hundred thousand to organizations--more than I will ever be able to give. It does not mean he has NEVER given. Once again--read the post. The choice I posted was that you either spend $30,000 to climb Mt. Everest or you spend $30,000 for vaccinations.

If you were given $30,000 what would you do with the money? Reading the tone of your post, it probably means you would spend it on yourself. Just an assumption.

Fuck it.

Us who?

(continuing the thread creep...)

For those not local to pdx, barkernews (aka Brian Barker) is a local TV reporter.

It's easy for me or anyone else to take shots at him or his work since it's on public display; so I will refrain. Tell you what though, I sure wouldn't want MY work to be on public display; takes at least SOME balls! Not trying to fight his battles, just my .02 .

(back on topic...)

Cruise can go choke for all I care. But I fully appreciate the fact that since he can afford this, and much of the negative comments about the little shit, pretty much says that most people are jealous of the dood's bankroll and his celebrity. I know I am anyway. smirk.gif

If you aren't, then consider yourself a rare individual.

This whole thread is reminiscent of that Annabelle Bond thread... Wealthy woman, or Wealthy movie star, your reactions are all the same. Are we going to have a poll to see how far the illustrious cc.com members think he'll make it? Grow up.

Tom Cruise has likely given more money to charity than probably the whole of cc.com spammers combined (sorry if I'm mistaken and there are some lurking philanthropists online) What's the big deal if he want's to take a cattle track up Everest. Heck for all we know, while he's there, he'll toss some money towards the clinics on the way up.

Many of you are likely just jealous.

Barkernews, post away.