Rice named to fill Powell's shoes

scott_harpell

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frighteningly, Powell was the only voice of reason, the only voice with the military background to make competent decisions about entering Iraq, and the only one with the understaning of why we are in so much trouble there now. I wish he had not caved in and had to make all those ludicrous half-truths in front of the UN. You could tell even he knew it was BS but he did it serving his boss. Sad.

If he really was a voice of reason, then one would assume that reasonable things would emanate from within.

There was a reason the White House loathed Foggy Bottom the past 4 years...

So when's Rummy gone? 6 months? 1 year? I bet whenever we have an apropriate "milestone" in Iraq.

It is obvious that NO MATTER whom Bush appoints to ANY position, they will immediately be the subject to character assassination and the politics of personal destruction by the opposition.

Under a Democratic administration, all we would hear about from the left-leaning media would be fluff pieces about the nominees and how progressive the president is for nominating women and minorities to key cabinet positions.

I think he probably is the voice of reason. I also think that as a good soldier his loyalty to the Pres. take precedence. He may disagree with a course of action, but it's his job to do it in the best way possible, and to mitigate the effects as much as possible. A great man working for a crappy administration.

What did you think of him? I'm only going on what I saw reported, and it seemed there were some strong conflicts between Powell and Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz over what constitutes invading a country.

Maybe he was not entirely opposed to entering Iraq, but he (and others in the military) certainly seemed opposed to the strategy (low cost, smaller operation, no clear exit funding/support) being used to carry it out. Frontline just had an interesting special on this that supports this.

What should he have done if he disagreed? Resign? I think he did what he felt was right for the country, and that was to stand behind the president, even if he disagrees. Maybe it was not the right decision, but it wouldn't look good to have the top tier bickering over this. He seemed like a good man to me.

It seems to me that if you are a person of principle, you stand up for those principles. You don't let your name and reputation get used for unscrupulous purposes.

I don't know him, but the feeling I have is that he's a military guy with a strong sense of loyalty and allegiance, and perhaps allows those traits to get the better of him.

I'd like to know some day the honest truth of everything he wrestled with regarding this situation, if there was deep consideration etc etc. I doubt this truth would ever come out in a book though, maybe not even to his wife?

So, if he really felt like his integrity was being compromised, then certainly he could have resigned.

I suppose that my wish would be that he would've refused to do or say anything that he didn't really believe in, forcing the administration to take a step, ie. fire, reprimand, etc.

Does this seem reasonable, not compromising on something as monumental as war, war that will kill thousands upon thousands?

That's a very valid point, but I think he most likely felt that his duty was to the duly elected president. Voicing dissent, and getting himself fired may get his voice heard, but that's all. By doing as ordered, and expressing his opinions whenever possible he still has the potential to at least influence the foreign policy of the US. Once he's been fired, or resigned, now he is just a voice, although a respected one, of dissent, and there are all ready plenty of those. From the inside he can at least try to mitigate the damage done by the presidents foreign policy.

I think it really comes down to him placing more value on his loyalty, and the desire to do what is best for the US, for Iraq, for the rest of the world, than on his own "integrity" though I don't think that's quite the right word, as I think his loyalty and good intentions are definitely aspects of his integrity.

I've actually run into this in other places as well. I've talked to a few gov't employees who feel this way. By working for an administration they vehemently disagree with, they can still accomplish some good. They can mitigate the damage, and remain as voices of reason, even if they disagree with the policies they have to implement. I think this is ever bit as respectable, as an intelligent voice of dissent. There are plenty of people whining about what's wrong, and plent working to fix it from the outside, but without people like these still working on the inside I think the damage done by this administration would be even worse than we've already seen.

Heres to all you civil servants sticking it out and fighting small battles for small steps in the right direction bigdrink.gif

Come on, selkirk, didn't you see him in front of the UN? Was this part of his "plan" of working for good "from the inside"? Trying to talk the world into supporting the invasion?

(Perhaps he knew that the world wouldn't buy his shtick, so he felt justified in presenting it? This way he could be a good double-agent, pretending to work for the administration, yet secretly working for truth, justice, and the American way. Golleee he was more clever than I thought. So THAT'S why he accomplished so much good, and kept Bush and the rest moderated! Thanks for clearing it all up.)

i want to see a re-post of that pic someone posted a few months ago... sort of a WWII-recruitment-poster-looking thing, with Condi dressed up in military garb w/big smile, and the caption "I'M FIGHTING FOR WHITEY".

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

(sorry, don't have time to go search for it right now, myself)

So you would have rather had Powell resign on the spot refuse to serve the administration and the people due to his opposition to a war that was going to happen regardless of his presence or opposition? And then what, promote Wolfowitz, or some other chicken hawk? Then we'd be completely isolated instead of almost completely isolated.

I could be completely off base but my gut says he hated presenting that information to the UN. I doubt he thought it was any thing but BS. However, i'd guess his orders from the Chimperor were, 'present our case for wmds to the UN and get us some allies'. So he took the information the administration was relying on and presented it, even if didn't agree with it. I'd be willing to bet that he also recognized that a completely unilateral war, unmoderated by the presence of strong allies would allow Bush co to be even more unchecked, but if the UN or European Union could be brought in, their pressure might be enough to tone down Bush a bit.

I don't think his intentions were ever to thwart bush's plans or prevent the war, that would have been pointless, but if he softened the stances of administration even an inch, or forced them to consider their actions things even a second longer, than i'd say he was as successful as could have been hoped for.

I'm sad to see him go, and more than happy to say the Condoleeza Rice, however educated and bright, is attack dog. If she can garner us even a single ally in this conflict through anything but intimidation and bullying, which seems to suit Bush co. just fine, i'll be shocked and amazed.

Heres to all you civil servants sticking it out and fighting small battles for small steps in the right direction

thanks Selkirk. I don't, buy my parents both spent the bulk of their careers at the US Department of State. by the time Powell took its helm in 2000, Dad was retired but Mom was still working there. she only met Powell like once i think but she did, thru the course of her day to day work, learn alot about the man. she had many good things to say about him, including the fact that he was an extremely intelligent, rational, levelheaded man.... and BTW she's about as liberal as they come.

i want to see a re-post of that pic someone posted a few months ago... sort of a WWII-recruitment-poster-looking thing, with Condi dressed up in military garb w/big smile, and the caption "I'M FIGHTING FOR WHITEY".

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

(sorry, don't have time to go search for it right now, myself)

Took 5 seconds (edit: longer because I'm a dumbass and the image didn't show up)

414357-condi_whitey2.jpg

414357-condi_whitey2.jpg.069c86083a855705aaf0ab3b61d0f3e0.jpg

Edited by Camilo

funny how the left is so careful about how they criticize minorities. if condi rice was white the DNC attack machine would be running full speed ahead.

Race is not an issue when I say:

She was ineffective as head of the NSA, and she's going to be even more so as Secretary of State.

I really didn't have a big problem with her until I listened to every word of her testimony in the 9/11 hearings, and then I decided she really, really sucked at her job, and was/is a weasel and a tool.

Blech on Condi. thumbs_down.gif