FREE AVALANCHE CLINICS SEATTLE AREA

joe_catellani

FREE AVALANCHE CLINICS PUGET SOUND

There will be a number of free avalanche awareness lectures. These informative clinics are a good introduction for novices. They also present an opportunity for those considering taking a complete course to see if our avalanche programs might be of interest in the future. (sign-up necessary at Marmot and Backpacker only). The clinics last about 1:40.

DATES OFFERED 2004-2005: Nov 15, Second Ascent, 7:00pm/ Nov 16, Marmot (Bellevue), 7:00pm / Nov 17, Tukwila REI, 7:00pm / Nov 30, Tacoma REI/ Dec 2, Backpacker Supply(Tacoma), 7:00pm / Dec 9, Alderwood REI, 7:00pm (date changed from December 1st)/ Dec 14, Feathered Friends, 8:00pm/ Jan 6, University of Washington Climbing club (contact jjantz@u.washington.edu), 7:00pm/ Jan 12, Redmond REI, 7:00pm / Jan 13, Seattle REI, 7:00pm / Jan 27, Backpacker Supply(Tacoma), 7:00pm

FREE LECTURES: "AVALANCHE TRAGEDIES IN CANADA 2002-2003"

"Avalanche Tragedies in Canada 2002-2003" is a free Power Point presentation that parallels the new Level II avalanche course emphasizing "Persistent Snowpack Weakness" that has been created by Gary Brill. The focus of both of the new programs is not so much on detailing each accident but rather on analyzing common threads that run through the accidents. These programs utilize an historical look back at the highly unusual snowpack in Canada last winter as a vehicle for presentation of relevant materials and current thinking and theories on persistent snowpack weaknesses, a key factor in as many as 80% of recreational avalanche accidents. This presentation will be most effective for individuals who already have basic avalanche knowledge. This program lasts about 1:40.

DATES OFFERED 2004-2005: Nov 29, Second Ascent, 7:00pm/Dec 7, Marmot (Bellevue-advanced sign-up recommended), 7:00pm/ Dec 16, Feathered Friends, 8:00pm

www.geocities.com/garyabrill/avalanche.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Only the Marmot/Backpacker requires sign-up. Call ahead for these.

FREE BASIC AVALANCE AWARENESS LECTURES

DATES OFFERED 2005-2006:

Nov 7, 7:00pm, Redmond REI

Nov 8, 7:30pm, UPS outdoor program

Nov 9, 7:00pm, Second Ascent

Nov 15, 7:00pm, Marmot

Nov 16, 7:00pm, South Center REI

Nov 17, 7:00pm, Seattle REI

Nov 29, 7:00pm, Backpacker Supply(Tacoma)

Nov 30, 7:00pm, Alderwood REI

Dec 8, 7:30pm, Feathered Friends

Jan 5, U of W outdoor club

Jan 11, 7:00pm, Seattle REI

FREE ADVANCED LECTURE: "DEALING WITH BAD LAYERS - Learning from Canada 2002-2003"

DATES OFFERED 2005-2006:

Dec 5, 7:00pm, Second Ascent

Dec 6, 7:00pm, Marmot

Dec 15, 7:30pm, Feathered Friends

http://www.geocities.com/garyabrill/avalanche.html

I'm on the Ski Patrol and we are offered courses for avalanche training-search and rescue(which I've taken I), however these 'awareness' clinics, are they pretty basic? The 'Dealing with Bad Layers' looks interesting! Am I just coffee resistant and not reading that correctly? I typically travel over there for business and want to attend one, but want to make sure it would be something I could learn from as well.

whoohoo, the latest schedule is this year's, the original was for last.

f you've taken a course already, I would hope that the AA clinic would seem basic. It is quite practical.

The advanced clinic is definitely not basic, but it has information most backcountry folks would ultimately need to be aware of. This clinic brings recent studies to bear on one's perception of stability.

Edited by powdery

Thank you! I try to find educational things while I am away from home to attend - instead of the hotel lounge.

The advanced clinic sounds great! I see the schedule was posted. I am in need of sleep......I have to be up on a plane 5am tomorrow and am no where near ready to investigate! UGH! Probably should turn my laptop off while I'm writing my notes!

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Here are this year's free clinics for November-December. The basic Avalanche Awareness clinic has been redone to put more emphasis on risk management. It is also now a PowerPoint program.

Free avalanche clinic schedule for November/December:

We offer a number of free avalanche awareness lectures. There are two separate formats of free clinics offered: Introductory and Advanced. The introductory Power Point lecture (newly revised 2006). Basic trip planning, terrain definitions, important snowpack layers, basic avalanche dynamics and understanding risks and risk reduction methodology are among the topics covered. (sign-up necessary at Marmot and Backpacker only). The clinics last about 1:35.

FREE INTRODUCTORY AVALANCE AWARENESS LECTURE

DATES OFFERED 2006-2007:

Nov 7, 7:00pm, South Center REI

Nov 8, 7:00pm, Redmond REI

Nov 9, 7:00pm, Second Ascent

Nov 14, 7:00pm, Marmot Mountain - Bellevue

Nov 16, 7:00pm, Seattle REI

Nov 28, 7:00pm, Backpacker Supply - Tacoma

Nov 29, 7:00pm, Alderwood REI

Nov 30, 7:30pm, Feathered Friends

FREE ADVANCED LECTURE: "DEALING WITH BAD LAYERS - Learning from Canada 2002-2003"

This is a free Power Point presentation that parallels the new Level II avalanche course emphasizing "Persistent Snowpack Weakness" that has been created by Gary Brill. The focus of both of the new programs is not so much on detailing each accident but rather on analyzing common threads that run through the accidents. These programs utilize an historical look back at the highly unusual snowpack in Canada in 2002-3 as a vehicle for presentation of relevant materials and current thinking and theories on persistent snowpack weaknesses, a key factor in as many as 80% of recreational avalanche accidents. This presentation will be most effective for individuals who already have basic avalanche knowledge. This program lasts about 1:45.

DATES OFFERED 2006-2007:

Dec 5, 7:00pm, Marmot

Dec 7, 7:30pm, Feathered Friends

Dec 12, 7:00pm, Second Ascent

www.avalanchesafety.org

Edited by powdery