Yakima Ghetto

Dru

WTF is up with Yakima? Drove into town on my way back from Smith Rocks in search of a coffee. Yakima is some sort of ultra-ghetto, but why? Seriously I have seen Native reserves at the end of 200km of unpaved road that have had newer, better maintained buildings than downtown Yakima.

Why is this town so ass? moon.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakima is a hurtin' town. It's roots lie with the very wealthy land owners (apples, cherries) and the lower class that work in these orchards. Not much has changed. 2nd and 3rd generational poverty, drugs (yakima is famous for these), and a deeply entrenched Mexican mafia are the reasons that this town sucks. The Surrenos and Nortenos are the two gangs in town. These gangs originated from the SoCal prision system and now infect the town. I teach PE in a Surrenos controlled neighborhood. It is all very interesting. I am moving out of here in 2 years if I am not shot first.

The Tieton is a very wonderful area with 100's of great routes. No crowds, great weather, and diverse climbing (cracks,slab,face,muli.pitch). Seriously, the climbing is sweet and there are no bangers at the crags.

There's a reason why people call it Yakavegas. wink.gif

Last time I stoped there for gas the station we pulled into was packed with Gypsy Jokers (a motorcycle club hahaha.gif) I think the attendant had cut off their pumps cause they weren't filling up just standing around looking pissed. We got gas and left.

Once you get on the west side of 1st Street, things cheer up rapidly. The south and east (and especially the southeast) sides of Crackima are the hoodz.

Once west of 16th Avenue, you're in Whiteyville. I live there. I've never had a problem in the 7+ years I've lived here. I just stay west of 16th Avenue, and north of Nob Hill Boulevard. There's no reason to go anywhere south or east of those lines, unless you're looking for mushsmile.gif or 2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Yeah, Yakima isn't real cosmopolitan.

I lived there for six months right after I got out of college... first job. I spent the whole time working on my resume and trying to leave. Lemme tell ya, working in TV news in Yakima is a whole new adventure. Not a lot to talk about.

But Miners Burgers ROCKS!!!! rockband.gif

"Crackima" as we called when I lived East of the mountains.

A few other people that I have climbed with that post on this board have lived in the "Palm springs of Washington" and have some pretty wild stories-maybee they'll post? I'd say it is the roughest town east of the mts. The town always seemed weird - some people with lots of money and a ton of people with no money and not many folks in between.

I saw a winery add in a magazine taken out by the Yakima Cahmber of commerce that said "Yakima- The envy of France". I should have cut it out and scanned it!

___

As for Yakima climbing, Tieton has great rock! I've heard that Strobach Ice is good too, but sadly the time for Seattlites from front door to ice is worse than going to Lillooet for the day! (driving+ approach time=___) and as a result, will never see much traffic.

Drove into town on my way back from Smith Rocks in search of a coffee.

The real issue here is what kind of backass route you took to Smith? WTF 97? Jesus. I-5 to Greshem, Division street Hood driveby stright into Mudrus tongue.gif Seven point Five hours from the Starbucks on 4th to Pyramid Ale on the picnic table "in the round" at Winston Smith bigdrink.gif