Petzl aztar for waterfall ice ?

rhyang

I've been climbing couloir ice in the Sierras this season with a Petzl Aztar, and it seems to work well for me, in terms of grip size, swing, penetration in blue ice, and light weight in general (21 oz).

So now I'm looking at my first season of waterfall ice climbing (total newbie), and am thinking of just using two aztar hammers, at least to start with (ebay is so great). My winter outings are probably going to be limited to places like Lee Vining, Provo Canyon, or Ouray if I'm lucky (or Banff if I'm really lucky).

However, I've been told by some that this tool is actually too light to use on waterfall ice in the winter. Any idea if a newbie ice climber can get away with aztars in places like these ? Quarks look very nice, but I wonder if that's going a little overboard right now.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North peak gully (right) was my first alpine climb. i used asolo yukons w/ smc strap-ons and 2 70cm rei mtn. axes. i was scared shitless. took us hours of picket pounding to go up 800 ft.

went back some years later, climbed in like an hour, soloed over the N. Ridge of Conness and back down the E. Ridge to the car. (Recommended). Amazing that, even for a weekend warrior hack like me, your idea of what is possible can change so dramatically.

I've climbed a lot of Sierra moderates, if you ever want info feel free to email me.

Amazing that, even for a weekend warrior hack like me, your idea of what is possible can change so dramatically.

I've climbed a lot of Sierra moderates, if you ever want info feel free to email me.

Cool. At my level becoming a weekend warrior hack is an aspiration which will take me at least several years to achieve smile.gif

I think it depends on your style.

I climbed a few pitches with em' and thought they were a touch light and weren' t very damp. With an added head weight (which you could make) and some homemade rubber coating, I think they would be fine tools. I'd say- save your money and use em'. The tool won't hold you back. As was elluded to earlier, WI6+ was led with straight shafted wooden tools. Tools that were roughly the same as were used by Heckmair on his 1938 ascent of the Eiger. A lot of folks think the latest tool design will help them move up one number grade on the WI scale. I think this is pretty far from the truth.

Just my two cents.

have fun. bigdrink.gif

I use Aztar for alpine but waterfall ice seems to be just fine as well. I am a bit of a weight freak, so the less the better. laugh.gif If you are going to be climbing waterfall ice extensively, I think the Quarks might still be better tools for that. Quarks requires less wrist flicking to get a solid ice penetration than Aztar.

rhyang,

agree with don serl.

If you are concerned you can always put half of a tennis ball on the end of the adze or even a gob of duct tape. Wear glasses as well. They have fancy dancy types for buckoo bucks, or you can just go to a hardware store. Some of the stores have fairly stylish lookin' protective wear.

Did I miss where you have an adze on the tool already? You could just get two hammers and an adze on the side. Switch em out when needed.

Thanks all - I appreciate your insights.

re: adze - I also have a bent-shaft BD shrike (ya the one that's on sale everywhere) that I've used on multipitch alpine ice climbs in the sierras, with an adze for the express purpose of chopping stuff like footholds. Worked great on blue ice once I changed out the cobra pick for a laser pick (the cobra / titan / whatever pick seemed great for more aerated alpine ice like on Shasta's north side, but plated miserably on water ice, though I'm sure that also had to do with my newbie technique).

Aztars don't have interchangeable adze/hammer heads, nor do shrikes. For the single-pitch and/or beginner-level toproping I expect to do on waterfall ice in the near future I don't suspect I'll need an adze anyway. Yes, I got my aztars really cheap on ebay.

I don't expect to be leading anytime soon, but am curious - do people use adze's for clearing junk ice to put in screws, or is the pick usually better for that ('spect it depends on the tool too).

later on when/if I get good at this maybe I'll get quarks or whatever. Now all we need is some decent ice down here so I can practice ... for now I'm just salivating at the pics in the gallery.